Notices

I threw up blood-am I an alcoholic?

Old 11-03-2011, 01:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I threw up blood-am I an alcoholic?

Okay I quit drinking myself a few years ago but I never defined myself as an alcoholic. I didn't think I was an alcoholic per se but that I was heading in that direction if I kept it up. I have known other alcoholics who have never quit and have had their lives totally destroyed by it so looking at them scared me into quitting to be honest! I didn't think "oh it'll never happen to me".. my attitude was "why couldnt it?", that it could happen to anyone really and that I was a higher risk as alcoholism runs in my family. I have had one glass of wine every so often but the taste of alcohol doesnt appeal now and I don't have an urge to keep drinking..

I gave up alcohol for about 2 years, no alcohol whatsoever. in the past yr-ish, I have had a few glasses of wine, like maybe four the whole year, each time vowing not to drink again. I was attending al-anon meetings at the time and I "confessed" I thought I had a drinking problem in the middle of the meeting. Not an ideal place but I had to say it to someone. I started crying in front of everyone and that embarassed me, I don't like crying full stop, let alone in front of people. But I don't regret it as it made me be honest and admit my drinking was spiralling out of control. I didn't want to say it to friends and family as I didn't want to annoy them but I had to say it to someone. I vomited blood on a night out and that was my "rock bottom" as alcoholics call it. I had had a few embarassing incidents on nights out, and I didn't want anymore and I could see that it was becoming a problem.

Would AA members consider me an alcoholic? Like would I need meetings etc? I've no problem with going to meetings etc, it's fine. I went to al-anon and its a good programme from what I can see.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If you threw up blood you should see a doctor; it may have nothing to do with alcohol. But be truthful about your drinking to your doctor.

And it isn't for AA to decide, or care, if you are an alcoholic. That's your call. The only requirment for AA is wanting to quit drinking.
Old 11-03-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome FunnyGirl

It's a little unclear to me from your post but if you threw up blood recently, I'd definitely see a Dr without delay.

I'm not in AA but I think the important question here would be 'do you consider you're an alcoholic?'

I know you'll get some good advice here
D
Old 11-03-2011, 03:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

oh, see the vomiting blood was three years ago on a night out and I stopped drinking totally for two years after that..I am just wondering now whether it would cause any long term damage? and whether any AA members knew? I am thinking of asking my GP about it, just to make sure and see if I can get a test done to see if my liver etc is fine.

I am a bit worried about my health-I didn't have a period for six months before due to undereating so I am worried that could affect my health in later years. I got my period back once I ate more but I am just wondering whether my bone density is okay now because of it? As I know that anorexics can develop osteoporosis when they're older! Does anyone know whether my doctor can check my bone density? And if so, how?

I am just wondering whether I would be classified as an alcoholic by a medical professional. I don't think I am personally but I don't want to go near alcohol just to be on the safe side!

I had a blood test done a few months ago for an unrelated reason and everything came back fine on that. I think my problem was more low self-esteem and using alcohol as a social lubricant than alcoholism...but I would appreciate some feedback too! thanks again for feedback
Old 11-03-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're worried about your health a Dr is a great place to start I think....they can do any test you want done - or send you on to the right places anyway

D
Old 11-03-2011, 03:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

yeah...you have a lot of questions a doctor can help you with -that's their job
Old 11-03-2011, 03:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

funnygirl2, please go & see your Dr asap. This might not be anything at all for you to be worried about but at least your Dr can put your mind at rest & maybe give you some tests. Make the appointment, talk to your Dr...then let us know how you got on
Old 11-03-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

I'm not in AA but I think the important question here would be 'do you consider you're an alcoholic?'
Ditto, its really not our realization to have. That's up to you.
But ya, see a doctor if you are throwing up blood currently. That's not what we call "normal".
Old 11-03-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I used to throw up blood when I drank.I quit drinking and have not threw up blood since.You may want to go see a Dr anyway,just to be sure.If you haven`t drank much in 3 yrs,chances are,you may be pretty healthy.