Notices

Around the Year with Emmet Fox - 2 November

Old 11-02-2011, 05:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Around the Year with Emmet Fox - 2 November

A SMILE IS AN INVESTMENT

Most people feel intuitively that the simplest things in life are the most important, or, if you prefer, that the most important things in life are found to be the simplest. This is a very profound discovery. What is more important to us than breathing, for instance?

Another simple thing that is of great moment is a smile. A smile affects your whole body from the skin right in to the skeleton, including all blood vessels, nerves, and muscles. It affects the functioning of every organ. It influences every gland. Even one smile often relaxes a number of muscles, and when the thing becomes a habit you can easily see who the effect will mount up. Last year's smiles are paying you dividends today.

The effect of a smile on other people is no les remarkable. It disarms suspicion, melts away fear and anger, and brings forth the best in the other person--which best he immediately proceeds to give to you.

A smile is to personal contacts what oil is to machinery, and no intelligent engineer ever neglects lubrication.

Rejoice evermore
(1 Thessalonians 5:16)
Old 11-02-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Daytrader,
I have been giving a lot of thought to smiling lately. What stops me from smiling at complete strangers in the street when our eyes make contact,basically it is fear of rejection, I have invested so much in that person's response. If the person doesn't respond favourably I feel embarassed, and angry so I think don't look at people in the street keep your head down or to the side.

I have a wonderful friend who would have this smile on his
face when the ticket inpectors would get on the train. It made him look a bit simple and the inspectors avoided him.
Anyway I am going to smile more today.
CaiHong
Old 11-02-2011, 06:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Good stuff CaiHong. I feel ya too, I'm just as (if not more) codependent. lol

What's good to remember though is that even though I may be embarrassed and feel slightly uncomfortable, me smiling is about making some other person's day better, brighter or happier. Left to my own devices, such logic never occurs to me though......I just go on thinking about myself and what I want. Little things like smiling at someone is good practice in doing what I don't want to do.....but doing it for someone's (other than me) benefit in spite of not wanting to do it.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am powerless over that stranger's reaction but not powerless over my desire/ability to smile. If he has a problem with it, I'll let him think on it.