Notices

8 Years Sober and Doing Badly

Old 10-28-2011, 07:12 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Gratefully Sober

Originally Posted by uncle holmes View Post
Sobern, I go through what you described from time to time. The resentments and bitterness builds up. It dominates my mind instead of clear, spiritual thinking. And if I don't catch it before it's too late, I don't necessarily think about drinking, but rather I burst out and get in trouble for things I say at work or with family.

Just wondering if you've done a fourth and fifth step lately? I know for me when it really builds up, my attitude gets bad, it's time to do a fourth and fifth step. That means writing down on paper my resentments, fears, and my own selfishness. Then sitting down at a table with my sponsor or another AA person I can trust, and sharing those defects with them. It truly does relieve a lot of that tension that builds up and I feel better. Good luck.
It has been a long time since I have done a 4th and 5th step. You are right I am due for another one. I will do the 4th then sit with my sponsor to do a 5th. I have kept so much inside for so long. So much fear and resentment and anger.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Trudging that road.

What a great honest discussion about recovery. There must be something to this for people at this length of sobriety. I just had 7 years back in May and I too have distance myself away from AA. Its weird because I justify it by saying I do on-line AA so its not like I have cut it out completely. I truly believe the only reason I have not picked up is because I have continued to work on my relationship w/God. So by his grace and only his grace I haven't used.

I know that all the thoughts that keep me away from meetings and my home group are untreated alcoholism its my disease trying to grab a hold of me again.

Its time to go back to what I did as a newcomer and that is 90 meetings in 90 days and get back in the book. I have done the steps a few different times but to be honest the way I have slipped back into my self centered egotistical self you wouldn't be able to tell.

So thanks for bringing this up I know it wasn't an accident I found this thread.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:25 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
~sb

Do you sponsor anyone? Give freely what was once given freely to you?

be well!
Old 10-28-2011, 07:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Gratefully Sober

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Do you sponsor anyone? Give freely what was once given freely to you?

be well!
I have sponsored in the past. Not at the present time though. I hope to someday have something someone woould want. I really get a lot of gratitude from helping others in the program.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:23 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

some alcoholics just have to hit a wet bottom,some alcoholics seem to have to hit a wet and dry bottom
I did the wet and dry
Old 10-29-2011, 02:57 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

hi becky ty for the post.ive just found this site looking for a topic in my homegroup tonite.i think that GOD SAYS i will if you seek me.lol.im just over 5yrs and have many friends in between 5-8 getting drunk.one said she is starting 90/90 again just to refresh herself/ofcourse her sponsor promted this.im surprised ur sponsor hasnt called b4 this/get ur ass to more meetings remember nothing assures me more immunity from drinking than helping another alcholic ! God said get some action going u could use a sponceeor three wuvvz ya from atlanta
Old 10-31-2011, 01:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I hope you are doing better! It was a really frustrating experience for me. I felt like I hadn't really changed anything and all of a sudden I was doing much worse, feeling much more irritable. I was really scared.

Originally Posted by sobern2003 View Post
Thanks! Im on my way out the door to a meeting in a little while.it will be good to get to a meeting. Guess I will will be looking for a new sponsor,since i doubt the old one is intersted after all this time. for some reason Im afraid to return to my home group and to see my sponsor.I know I screwed up by just dissapearing and blowing off my committment.It doesnt help that I moved in february across town and cant get out that way often anymore.See how it goes I guess.
Becky
Old 10-31-2011, 01:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Gratefully Sober

yes. I am doing much better now. 4 meetings total last week. one tonight,my homegroup.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I am so glad to hear that! It is too scary losing that peace and serenity that keeps me sober, I feel for you.
Old 10-31-2011, 02:14 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

I've had the keys to a church for our Thursday night group for about 10 years. Probably kept me going as much as anything. I would miss the social interaction with several of the people in AA should I stop going. Most of the time, anything I do out side of the rooms is done with people in AA.
Even when, I go to meetings and don't have anything to share, I can gage my sobriety by what's being said.