Notices

Daily Reflections-Opening up to change

Old 06-07-2011, 09:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Arrow Daily Reflections-Opening up to change

*~*~*~*~*^Daily Reflections^*~*~*~*~*

OPENING UP TO CHANGE

Self-searching is the means by which we bring new vision, action, and grace to bear upon the dark and negative side of our natures. With it comes the development of that kind of humility that makes it possible for us to receive God's help. . . . we find that bit by bit we can discard the old life -- the one that did not work -- for a new life that can and does work under any conditions whatever.

AS BILL SEES IT, pp. 10, 8

I have been given a daily reprieve contingent upon my spiritual condition, provided I seek progress, not perfection. To become ready for change, I practice willingness, opening myself to possibilities of change. If I realize there are defects that hinder my usefulness in A.A. and toward others, I become ready by meditating and receiving direction. "Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely" (Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 58). To let go and let God, I need only surrender my old ways to Him; I no longer fight nor do I try to control, but simply believe that, with God's help, I am changed and affirming this belief makes me ready. I empty myself to be full of awareness, light, and love, and I am ready to face each day with hope.

Copyright 1990 ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS WORLD SERVICES, INC.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

After spending 34 years in the "fight" stance, I had no choice but to give up control. It was making me progressively sicker and sicker, and made alcohol the master. I taught myself well, before sobriety, that I was a "victim" in society, although others had suffered through rougher circmstances than I did. They were successful and happier in life in SPITE of what they had gone through.

Once I laid the bottle down, I still had all that anger festering inside, and began the work of looking at what I contributed to many of these negative circumstances, and remarkably, after picking away at all my faulty beliefs and taking responsiblity for MY actions, I found that a new way of living did emerge.

All that was required at the beginning was a belief that I didn't have to live like that; that there was hope for the future, and to slow down enough to work on myself, but not by myself. I didn't have all the answers I thought I had; too often my stubborness would get in the way. I needed help from others. I moved from being reactive to proactive in life, and how to let go of outcomes.

In retrospect, it was realizing the cumulative effect of small, daily pleasures in life that changed things for me. I no longer wait for those hugely happy moments in life to counteract the drudgery of daily living. That happened when "I have been given a daily reprieve contingent upon my spirtual condition, provided I seek progress, not perfecton."