Notices

Chairing my first meeting, could use some feedback

Old 03-26-2011, 01:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Chairing my first meeting, could use some feedback

Well, I will be 90 days sober on Tuesday, and my sponsor told me that it is time to start doing some service work. So, at the business meeting today, they had a need for meeting chairs, and the one available is the Tuesday meeting. It is a Step meeting, and the group did Step 5 last week so Step 6 will be this coming week.

I will be chairing the meeting for this next four Tuesdays. I am only 90 days sober, so I have not taken Step 6 yet, and am actively on Step 4. But I have been told by my sponsor and the members of my group that there is no problem with me chairing.

I will be reading the Big Book, the 12 and 12, and reviewing the Step 6 forum here in preparation. I will also be cornering old timers concerning how they do the step meetings (they may even bundle step 6 and 7, I don't know) - whatever, I am sure I can do this.

Anyway, what do you look to from the chair in a quality step meeting? What can a newbie bring to the chair that is helpful (besides humility, planning to bring my humble with me)? Any ideas or suggestions to assist in making the meeting more interesting/compelling, besides bringing oatmeal cookies?

Thanks in advance, and would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

"Anyway, what do you look to from the chair in a quality step meeting? What can a newbie bring to the chair that is helpful "

Sincerity-honesty-willingness and the ability to enjoy every day of sobriety and look forward to another tomorrow. I am sorry I am on the West Coast, because I think you are going to lead a great meeting!

Best wishes,
Jon
Old 03-26-2011, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Relax and congratulations......

when my sponsees chair for the 1st time
I simply tell them to follow the meeting format
as we decided in our GC.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ch5 HOW

I chair the meeting on Tuesdays at my homegroup. All I have to do at the meeting is read 2 pages of opening statements from a book.

The hard part of the job is I have to hand pick speakers since Group Conscience is recovered alcoholics only at the podium.

as long as you follow the group conscience, you'll do great. when in doubt about something you may wanna seel council with the person who chaired before you....
Old 03-26-2011, 06:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I`m with Carol,just follow the format
usually there are some home group members who will join in and help you if something goes
wrong or a situation arises

usually around here,once the meeting starts,it usually runs itself.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well you are going to laugh, but first..."let go of the outcome"...

I am like you, or can imagine that I would be like you, and try to do everything to make sure that I am "up" on all knowledge, and well prepared for MY meeting!

Be careful of the ego, our ego, and how sneaky it is!

I think you have some great ideas and I am sure you will be fine!

You could always listen to Joe and Charlie Big Book study online. I find them very helpful to me in understanding the book.

Perhaps reading the step 6 sub forum may give you some ideas.

Best wishes and congratulations on your sobriety!
Old 03-26-2011, 08:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yeah, just follow the format and you will be fine.

I once had to be the SPEAKER at a Step meeting that was on a Step I hadn't done, yet (it was a "bookers" commitment, and I didn't know I'd be expected to speak on the Step until I got there).

That was sorta uncomfortable, but I admitted I hadn't worked that Step yet, kept it short, and let other people talk. I don't think anyone walked out of the meeting ticked off that I wasn't able to expound on the Step. It was a good meeting, lots of good shares.

I'm sure you will do just fine.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awakening...

I was made the chair of my meeting when I was two weeks sober. Then I relapsed, and I was expecting to be fired from the chair position. When I came back they said, "Welcome back, now chair the meeting."
Old 03-26-2011, 09:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was made the chair of my meeting when I was two weeks sober.
I always wondered if our informal 'whoever gets asked to chair' meeting was 'proper'.
But looking back it was a good experience when i was asked to chair a meeting.
A full time chair? I'm not sure if that's great idea that early in sobriety.
Anyway, what do you look to from the chair in a quality step meeting?
Like others have said. Be yourself. I get others involved reading and discussing, make sure the coffee doesn't run out and give a warm welcome to newcomers. Have fun!
Old 03-27-2011, 10:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I feel a lot more confident. You guys are so helpful! I really just need to chill, and remind myself that it is not "my" meeting.

I got an opportunity to talk to the guy who chaired last week, and there is a solid guideline in place and I am feeling better. He has chaired several meetings (we rotate the chair, with only a one month commitment to chair any single meeting), and those meetings have been very good in my estimation. He is one of the ones that I have picked out of the group with good solid sobriety and works the steps diligently.

Typically (not always) the chair shares before turning the meeting over. I'll have to think about that.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You are fortunate, at a fair number of meetings I attend-including my home group-the chair gets the job of finding the speaker for the once-a month open meeting. And the chair simply has to introduce the meeting, very little reading or speaking involved beyond that. But finding the speaker..........
Old 03-27-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

... and don't forget to pass out the ligatures!

(sorry, I'm on a roll this morning)