Notices

What does a 'home group' mean?

Old 03-16-2011, 05:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What does a 'home group' mean?

I hear 'home groups' mentioned a lot when people are referring to AA, but I don't know what this means. Can you please tell me? Thanks!
P.S. Does anyone know what ESH means? I looked it up online but found nothing about it!
Old 03-16-2011, 05:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm not in AA, but I believe your Home Group would be the group you attend most often.

ESH = Experience, Strength, Hope
Old 03-16-2011, 05:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One group that you attend each week without fail.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you both so much for answering my questions!
Old 03-16-2011, 06:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A home group is the AA group that you choose to be your base in AA. It is your home in AA. You have the right and privilege to vote in that group's business meetings. It is where you will meet and form some of the most solid bonds with other members of AA. It may or may not be where you will find a sponsor. It is where you can volunteer for group service commitments. It is the place where most members of AA find their foundation in AA. I am a member of AA as a whole in any given meeting, but in my home group, I am a member of the group. It is the place where I do most of my service. It is where I celebrate my AA birthday. It is where I have formed the most powerful friendships in my life.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

BP44 - Thank you sooo much!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What is an AA Home Group?

“Traditionally, most AA members through the years have found it important to belong to one group which they call ‘Home Group.’ This is the group where they accept responsibilities and try to sustain friendships. And although all AA members are usually welcome at all groups and feel at home at any of these meetings, the concept of the ‘Home Group’ has still remained the strongest bond between the AA member and the Fellowship.” (from The AA Service Manual). With membership comes the right to vote upon issues that might affect the group and might also affect AA as a whole–a process that forms the very cornerstone of AA’s service structure. As with all group-conscience matters, each AA member has one vote; and this, ideally, is voiced through the home group. Over the years, the very essence of AA strength has remained with the home group, which, for many members, becomes their extended family. Once isolated by their drinking, they find in the home group a solid, continuing support system, friends and, very often, a sponsor. They also learn firsthand, through the group’s workings, how to place “principles before personalities” in the interest of carrying the AA message. Talking about her own group, a member says: “Part of my commitment is to show up at my home-group meetings, greet newcomers at the door, and be available to them–not only for them but for me. My fellow group members are the people who know me, listen to me, and steer me straight when I am off in left field. They give me their experience, strength and AA love, enabling me to ‘pass it on’ to the alcoholic who still suffers.”
Old 03-16-2011, 06:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"Each day, somewhere in the world, recovery begins when one alcoholic talks with another alcoholic, sharing experience, strength, and hope."
Old 03-16-2011, 07:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you Veritas1!!!
Old 03-16-2011, 10:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would like to find a home group- any suggestions would help. I enjoy some meetings at a club in Indianapolis, but it's 40 min from home. The meeting in my hometown seems a little too close for comfort. I have only had my sobriety on for a little over a month. I need to find a sponsor, as well and work the steps.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi 2blind2c! I wish i could help you there, but since I plan on going to my first meeting tomorrow night, I'm clueless! Good luck!
Old 03-16-2011, 11:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by GodsHolyWill View Post
Hi 2blind2c! I wish i could help you there, but since I plan on going to my first meeting tomorrow night, I'm clueless! Good luck!
That is awesome! Proud of you!
Old 03-17-2011, 03:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2blind2c View Post
I would like to find a home group- any suggestions would help. I enjoy some meetings at a club in Indianapolis, but it's 40 min from home. The meeting in my hometown seems a little too close for comfort. I have only had my sobriety on for a little over a month. I need to find a sponsor, as well and work the steps.
I've been going to meetings for about two and a half years now and I actually enjoy going to ones as close to where I live as possible...if you're worried about anonymity, first of all people in AA tend to take anonymity pretty seriously so it's doubtful your participation in the program will become hometown news. And second, it's kind of cool to make friends with the people you meet in AA and to have them close by so you can carpool, do non-AA related things together, or even just smile at them if you run into them in the grocery store. I've also run into a couple of people I knew from before AA in meetings and that's always a cool thing...nothing to be ashamed of.