Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism-12 Step Support
Reload this Page >

Does anyone else feel 'toxic' after meetings in early sobriety??

Notices

Does anyone else feel 'toxic' after meetings in early sobriety??

Old 03-03-2011, 09:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewGrowth View Post
Then I realized what the meetings were really for.
Well, I would argue that meetings are for exactly what you found with a sponsor. Carrying the message of the solution we have found.

Sadly, though, I agree with your assessment of how many meetings are actually practiced.

It's a question I ask myself when considering my own responsibility as an AA member. Was there enough said in that meeting so that the new person knows what is required to recover? If not, then I better be speaking up and sharing that.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
Well, I would argue that meetings are for exactly what you found with a sponsor. Carrying the message of the solution we have found.

Sadly, though, I agree with your assessment of how many meetings are actually practiced.

It's a question I ask myself when considering my own responsibility as an AA member. Was there enough said in that meeting so that the new person knows what is required to recover? If not, then I better be speaking up and sharing that.
Exactly. I was going to meetings where the solution was nowhere to be found. There was a lot of group therapy, 'hang in there' and bashing of religions.