Notices

trouble with step 11

Old 10-24-2003, 06:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

trouble with step 11

Hello All,
I am having trouble with daily practice of Step 11. I try to be quiet in the mornings, after I read the Daily Reflections but I could
only sit about 3 mins. tops! I feel that this is not good enough.
My sponsor says just keep practicing but I think that if I heard how other people do their daily meditation I might find something that might work.
This is 'me' all over, I get very neurotic about practicing the steps because I still have the Fear that if I deviate from living the steps daily, I'll relapse. I know, 'intellectually' that its progress not perfection but still I fear relapse if I am not living the steps
as best as I can, & step 11 is hard for me. When I do try step 11,
I am sitting quietly asking for God to direct my thinking & then just being quiet & reflecting. Suddenly, I get jittery, & uncomfortable like its as though if I don't tell my positive things, I know I would sit there & just hear those negative things in my head. Even still, I have these minor problems I am truly grateful to be sober today. Thanks for letting me share.
Old 10-24-2003, 06:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There really is no one right or wrong way to practice meditation.You just need to find what works for you.

I also have trouble just sitting still and listening alone.What works for me is to do my reading and follow it with a stretching routine.I can do this while talking and listening to God.When I become distracted,I gently refocus myself.Afterwards,I feel refreshed and energized mentally,physically and spiritually.

Keep trying until you find what works best for you.Progress...not perfection is what we seek,and it sounds like you are on track

phoenix
Old 10-24-2003, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well...

as you posted...."the best I can" is the key.

I often do my quiet time on the front porch. Maybe 5 minutes...I have never counted.

I figure my HP will get my attention in His time.

(+) (+) (+) Hugs and Prayers
Old 10-24-2003, 04:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the help.
I think I will try sitting on my porch & reflectioning.
Old 10-24-2003, 04:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Haven't got up to step 11 yet, but I do meditate.

I have a difficult time also. Sometimes I can't get in enough time so I try to make it quality time. Its all about the feelings for me, if I feel connected and centred, I've done my bit.

Amy
Old 10-24-2003, 09:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

Also not there on step 11, but I meditate while on the treadmill in the morning. The time I have to myself in the morning before the sun comes up to have my diet-coke and ciggy begore I go to the gym ( I know..) is MY time.. to get my thoughts in order, pray and prepare for what I am supposed to recieve that day while doing my work out.

I am sure they all think I am a snob at the gym..but gotta take care of me first, or the rest of my day goes down the toilet!
Old 10-25-2003, 10:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

practice practice practice!
Old 10-26-2003, 05:56 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Subtle yet overstated....

Keep doing what you're doing. You've stayed sober thus far so something is going right! The 3 minutes you spend now might just be saving your life... My meditations in the beginning were very short. I couldn't focus for more than 30 seconds but they've grown to about 10 minutes. Some people take an hour, some take a couple minutes during their morning constitutional The key is that you are willing to do it and are taking action. You'll find your groove so don't fret

In fellowship,

Tim