Notices

Around the Year with Emmet Fox - 17 September 2010

Old 09-17-2010, 04:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Around the Year with Emmet Fox - 17 September 2010

TESTIMONY

I know when people pass me by in a line who it is that wants advice. They have to tell me their story in a minute; I have to get their story straight and they have to come to the point. As a rule they don't. They usually say instead, "I am not going to take up your time. I know a public man doesn't have much time. I thought if I could just talk to you and tell you what is on my mind..." But why don't they do it? Because they are worried so that they cannot say what is on their mind. If I may seem impatient, do forgive me. I know if you have a problem it will be difficult for you to come to a point. If you could, it would not be much of a problem. But this I can say to you: In my work I have every sort of person coming to me for advice and help I have been doing this work now for many years, and there is not any kind of person who has not told me everything about himself. I have never found a case that couldn't be changed and put right if the patient would cooperate.

One generation shall praise they works to another, and shall declare thy might acts (Psalm 145:4)
Old 09-17-2010, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

This was a tough one for me..... to get something out of it, ya know?

This part (if I modify it a little) makes sense to me:

if you have a problem it will be difficult for you to come to a point. If you could, it would not be much of a problem. (<-- helps me to be more patient at tables)

(there is) every sort of person coming (to AA) for advice and help ( AA has worked) for many years, and there is not any kind of person who has not told everything about himself. (I'm not so unique after all and these ppl + this program can be a lot of help)

I have never found a case that couldn't be changed and put right if the patient would cooperate. <<---- Hmmmmm, I'd swear I've read a sentence like that sommmmmmmmmewhere.... I wonder where...... gee........maybe it was in one of those AA books.....

p58 "Rarely have we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path." ......and wasn't Bill Wilson somewhat fond of saying the ONE thing he's change about the BB was to replace "rarely" with "never?"