Notices

Recovered / In recovery

Old 03-08-2010, 01:14 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

lol nice one intention - Alcoholics Anonymous: The Story of How Many Thousands of Men and Women Have Recovered from Alcoholism

i didn't even think about the full title of the book...recovered, recovering...you will always be a bunch of drunks to me
Old 03-08-2010, 02:14 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Here I was wracking my brain and it's right there in the title!
Old 03-08-2010, 05:41 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Yummmmmy!!!! A little more butter wouldn't hurt either.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:56 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

what was the topic again.?

cured or curing......something like that.........

hey who ate all the popcorn.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:38 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trucker View Post
what was the topic again.?

hey who ate all the popcorn.
Popcorn??? What popcorn? Too much pop....ooops!!
Old 03-09-2010, 12:57 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

"We are not cured of alcoholism. What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition"
(page 85)
Old 03-09-2010, 03:22 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Hi Music

Originally Posted by Music View Post
Yummmmmy!!!! A little more butter wouldn't hurt either.

I got from your first reply to my question that you've been there, done that, made your conclusions about this subject before. What I don't get is why you feel the need to keep making your point over and over.

I posted this thread because this is something new to me and it is something I wanted to learn and I am grateful to the replies which have related back to the original post. I am sure others here have also benefitted from this discussion.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:43 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Hi intention. You posted #47 on this thread. If you don't/can't realize by now that this subject can be discussed ad-nauseum without reaching any sort of conclusion, save kicking the horse into a bloody mush, I'd only suggest that you read the Big Book and take it for what it's worth. Draw your own conclusion. Suggestion: Go draw a nice hot bubble bath, get a good soak, wrap up in your snuggy, turn on the radio to some nice smooth jazz for background noise and read the Big Book.

PS...don't forget the bowl of hot buttered popcorn. Salt to taste.

PSS...I noticed Dr.Dyer's quote on your post. Analizing paralizes! Walk into the light of the spirit of your higher power and the answers will come to you, without any effort on your part. Just be WILLING to believe.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:11 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Nothing wrong with humour in a thread like this about a subject that is just begging for differing opinions, and in that light, the thread has done quite well

((((Intention)))), please see that it matters not recovered vs. recovery in the real day to day lives of sober alcoholics. Both understandings work for those who hold them, no matter their choices. One side of the fence or the other is purely a matter of personal choice and not indicative of a better grasp or understanding of the subject. Of course, having said that, opinions can and will differ, lol, and that is a good thing!

There are many paths to sustained enjoyable sobriety. Thanks for a good thread!

Rob
Old 03-09-2010, 06:51 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

To be fair intention probably doesn't realize that the recovered/recovering topic have been discussed a million times before.

And sadly alot/most of times has turned into a "free for all" heated shouting match.

some of us find it amusing that it has come up again....the humour is not directed at you intention......just the topic in general..
If it helps i consider myself recovered.

i no longer have a hopeless mind or body.
because i connected with a power that does for me what i cant/couldn't do for myself......simple..

if i was cured..........that would be it.........job done.
but i have to maintain that recovered state by doing lots of actions.

for me i cant just pray and hope to stay recovered........i need to continue to take other direct action to maintain that connection.

continue to clean house......i am not a saint.........inventory and amends will
keep that connection to god clear.
service to others.........sharing the solution to newcomers as outlined in the book..
visiting wet drunks........that have asked for help.
sharing at meeting.........or just washing cups.

either working with the homeless or mowing old peoples lawns........all of this IMO is gods work........he sometimes puts me in the right place at the right time.
i dont jump out of bed in the morning and think......oooo I'm recovered..
but i do thank god for solving the problem.......

how bout you?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:47 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Talking about waking up, a friend of mine in early AA days told me once he wakes up, looks around him and says 'oh no please, no' then in a spilt second remembers he is an alcoholic and feels better...still not sure what to think about that one!

Intention don't get miffed over this, just a bit of banter...it has been discussed before on here a few times since i've been around...

Hmm so recovered is somewhere in between cured, saved and found...didn't know that...and saved is near to protected...well you live and learn!
Old 03-09-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

I did get the joke and thought it was funny the first time I saw it, and just maybe the second time too........

Anyway, next time someone asks this particular question I shall be first to post with all the answers

Now I am off to play on the Wii for a couple of hours, without any popcorn as I am a recovering compulsive overeater....

....or is that a recovered compulsive overeater? I can never remember which I am supposed to be.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:57 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by intention View Post
I did get the joke and thought it was funny the first time I saw it, and just maybe the second time too........

Anyway, next time someone asks this particular question I shall be first to post with all the answers

Now I am off to play on the Wii for a couple of hours, without any popcorn as I am a recovering compulsive overeater....

....or is that a recovered compulsive overeater? I can never remember which I am supposed to be.
Lol. That's the idea intention. Question....Did you ever consider the posibility that if you're not overeatting today, you just might be CURED? It just occured to me that I might need some more popcorn...lol!!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:10 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Lol. That's the idea intention. Question....Did you ever consider the posibility that if you're not overeatting today, you just might be CURED? It just occured to me that I might need some more popcorn...lol!!
sir.....quit while your ahead.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:24 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

sir.....quit while your ahead.
Ohhhhhhhh Kkkkk!!
Old 03-09-2010, 12:41 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Don't resist, allow

Question....Did you ever consider the posibility that if you're not overeatting today, you just might be CURED?

No, not today because the last time I did I had 7 years of recovery and I relapsed. And if I thought it was bad last time, this time was sheer hell. I not only ate myself close to death, I drank myself there too.

What was the question again? Should we consider ourselves cured? Personally, I don't think it is a good idea - but that is just my experience
Old 03-09-2010, 12:53 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post

Hmm so recovered is somewhere in between cured, saved and found...didn't know that...and saved is near to protected...
So let me get this straight;

Recovered < cured
Saved > Recovered
Found = Saved
Protected = Saved + 1

Does that mean if I had a scientific calculator I could determine the square root of Recovered?
Old 03-09-2010, 04:40 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by intention View Post
No, not today because the last time I did I had 7 years of recovery and I relapsed. And if I thought it was bad last time, this time was sheer hell. I not only ate myself close to death, I drank myself there too.

What was the question again? Should we consider ourselves cured? Personally, I don't think it is a good idea - but that is just my experience
Well my dear, I think you've got it! Good for you and continued success in both your journeys. I'm proud of you and I'd just say this. AA and the people in AA are very forgiving. God knows I tried on a few occasioins to screw up my own sobriety by lapsing back into some old behaviors. I went to my sponsor and came clean and then asked God to take over again. Sometimes I think we're our own worst enemy. We think we should or could or would have, or could have done better, which is many times, placing unrealistic expectations on ourselves. We sabotage our own sobriety. Just take it easy and do your best, one day at a time.:ghug3
Old 03-09-2010, 04:41 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boleo View Post
So let me get this straight;

Recovered < cured
Saved > Recovered
Found = Saved
Protected = Saved + 1

Does that mean if I had a scientific calculator I could determine the square root of Recovered?
Boleo, maybe you should contact Obama's job creation team and get a hold on found, saved, created, recovered, protected...etc. Ummm...maybe not!! They don't know either.