Notices

Two that's *two* live ones at the meeting tonight

Old 02-15-2010, 06:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Go ask the Multivax

Two that's *two* live ones at the meeting tonight

Hello all,

Before I get into this. I'd like to say that I go by the code that just because something was said at a meeting it does not make it okay to repeat outside the rooms. Because the person may regret bringing it up at a later date.

However, this is one for the history books! So, to not have Carol D slap me on my wrist, I have changed some insignificant details to protect the parties involved.

Okay, so it was my home group tonight. A women's meeting. My sponsor picks me up and there's this woman in the back seat I've seen before from time to time. I end up sandwiched between her and another friend. It doesn't take but two minutes to figure out she was three sheets to the wind. Seems my sponsor, clueless, picked her up because she saw her walking up the road (on the ice). So, I couldn't enlighten my sponsor being in the backseat and all - Normally in this situation I would 12-step this lady with another and get her home and in bed. So, we were going to take her to this meeting.

We get there and with all the snow it was light attendance. I go up to get some coffee and I see someone that I thought I knew from behind. So, I playfully say "Hey good looking". To which this woman I've never seen before, turns around all glowing and says "Oh, what's your name? Are you bisexual" After I managed to close my mouth I just squeezed out a "sorry, but no". Then I abruptly turned around and entered the room.

Inside our friend from the car was missing. I went outside to see if maybe she was smoking. Well, at this point she was in the "anger" stage. So, I walked back in. ten minutes later - There I see her, wandering in the cemetery, in the dark! So, I grab a trusty friend and we reel her back into the church. Just before that I did warn the room that we had a live one and to be prepared (small meeting). Much to my relief, she sat down and stayed quiet.

So, meeting goes on for a bit. Then, a woman begins to speak and ten words in I realized that this was drunk #2. Drunk #1 and drunk #2 then gave a whole new meaning to the word "cross-talk". We managed to reel it in okay. Both women got it together enough, to hopefully have heard something that will help with the hell they'll be experiencing tomorrow.

The meeting ends and we all feel good because we were able to help our fallen friends by the words of wisdom we tried to speak. Also, what's that they say? "But for the Grace of God, There go I"?. I think everyone got quite a bit out of the meeting.

Onward - Drunk #2 promptly gets in her SUV to drive her merry way home. I can hear members actually ask this woman "Are you sure you're okay to drive?" What?! So, she's got the engine and headlights on. I knock on her passenger door. She rolls down the window and I say, "hey, I just want to give you a hug" So, I climb over the passenger seat give her a hug and grab her keys, turn off the ignition, and pull them for dear life. Dumb things were stuck. She gets irritated at this point. Another woman then took over on the other side of the car and after a long while convinced her to accept a ride home.

Whew. I just had to let this out somewhere. I hope they got our summed up message of - It could have been anyone of us in their place and to not be embarrassed to come back.

I then enjoyed my ride home sitting uncomfortably close to drunk #1 who was in a very talkative mood.

Happy to be sober and my gratitude is now at 110%!!
Old 02-15-2010, 06:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know everything worked out to benefit all.

Yes...it was anonymous enough to not require
action on my part.........for following our SR guidelines.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Being Me for the first time

I wish someone would of done that for me . But sometimes its those lessons we need to get to the next phase in life , But I think you did a really great thing , Had something happened and you didnt do something bout it , it would eat at yah . right on for makin the right choice , just a spark of humor here , did you ask #1 if she needed a breath mint huggles ~ Endzy ~
Old 02-15-2010, 07:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

sometimes aa can get "busy"..........just when you were hoping to sit down and listen..lol.
reaching out to the still suffering may well include reaching for their car keys.
hopefully she will realize how much pain you saved her and innocent others..

early in my recovery a full scale fisty fight erupted right in the room....bits of teeth flying everywhere....
sometimes active alcoholism comes right into focus in the meetings and how unpredictable some of us where..
Old 02-16-2010, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You handled all that in stride. I thought, 'mirror moment'....you know but for the grace, there go I? Good to hear we all have fun meeting nights!
Old 02-16-2010, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

reaching out to the still suffering may well include reaching for their car keys.

Amen to that!
Old 02-16-2010, 05:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

It's no longer anonymous when, they get arrested for DUI. Everyone knows their name's then!
I need to see a wet one in a meeting once in a while to remind me how I once was.