Notices

Identifying in rooms

Old 01-02-2010, 07:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Identifying in rooms

I know this has been discussed. I have searched for the thread and can not find it.

Our meeting has recently added in the chairperson format that is read out loud slipped in after silence your cells phones... "please only identify as an alcoholic, do not identify on other issues such as addiction"...

I have not ever heard that as an actual annoucement. I am trying to find out the exact tradition.

This is a beginners meeting. The same meeting I am working on the group conscience and new agenda items. Yes, its a lovely ride seeing how many changes have been made without my participation. Karma for me. I know.

Any wisdom greatly appreciated. I have been reading all the traditions all morning.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FanofJoeMcQ View Post

"please only identify as an alcoholic, do not identify on other issues such as addiction"...
I am not an addict. However, in some ways, problems other than alcohol relates, directly, to my alcoholism. I don't identify as an addict or an "anda" because I'm not. I don't discuss drugs because if I do share at meetings, I want to talk about the solution...

When I shared my story, I had to mention, briefly, and only in context, other things... "dry goods" as they say around here... because if I left those things completely out of my story, my story would lose it's full meaning...

IDK... I think the standard... "please limit your discussions to problems only as they relate to alcohol" works for me.

I went to my brothers 24 year anniversary last Tues one state over from me... they used a somewhat expanded discussion of what it means to limit your shares to problems as they relate to alcohol.... hmmm, something about we know drugs may be part of your adventures, but when discussing them please limit your share to.... yada yada... IDK

Mark
Old 01-02-2010, 10:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tradition 4... autonomy. The group conscience is just that... what the group has decided what it will and not do. If you want what a group has and does, you should belong to it. If you want what a group has and does, you should do what the group does.

If the group does what you do not like, try to change it or find another group.

In my group, we go beyond the "blue card" for closed meetings. We say, "We are a closed group of Alcoholics Anonymous and ask that you introduce yourself as alcoholic only." or something like that. But if we see a new person come to our group, we find out if they are in the right place up front and if not, direct them elsewhere if need be.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know this has been discussed. I have searched for the thread and can not find it.

Our meeting has recently added in the chairperson format that is read out loud slipped in after silence your cells phones... "please only identify as an alcoholic, do not identify on other issues such as addiction"...

I have not ever heard that as an actual annoucement. I am trying to find out the exact tradition.
ng.
The tradition regarding singleness of purpose is tradition 5, but it doesn't say specifically how one should identify oneself. For that matter, no tradition says we have to say :" Hi, my name is Tom and I'm an alcoholic" . " Hiiiii Tom". One of the many 'unwritten traditions " in AA. AA generally does not issue position papers(or clarity statements ,like NA does) , which expound on various subjects.

Since there are so few rules in , it's AA is a big 'monkey hear/monkey do " program . SO when somebody hears somebody say :" May name is Joe and I'm an alcoholic and a drug addict" , they figure they should say it if they are a drug addict.
It's a lack of understanding or respect of Trad. 5 , IMO, but that's the way it goes.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Any wisdom greatly appreciated. I have been reading all the traditions all morning.
There is a pamphlet reproducing what Bill Wilson wrote for the Grape Vine (1958) describing how he came to change his mind about alcoholics trying to help addicts. I suspect that if he had written the traditions after 1958 he would have included some of this in Tradition 5.

http://www.aa.org/pdf/products/p-35_...anAlcohol1.pdf
Old 01-03-2010, 06:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My ex-sponsor told me that the tradition started after a movie...i think wine and roses...where at the end of the movie the guy says I'm *** and *'m an alchoholic...

I intro as an alchohlic/addict...some say thats a big no no and could confuse and screw people up, but I do it for personal reasons related to my own story...and i always wonder if there might be someone who is alchoholic out there who is helped by the fact that I intro that way...

what helps one person always seems to hurt another....
Old 01-03-2010, 07:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've never been to a meeting where people identifying themselves as an addict weren't welcome.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

"I read somewhere that people that are new are so quick to "claim" alcoholic, that if they knew what they were claiming in an effort to fit in, they might refrain, as in the reality of what it is they are claiming. Many don't even know if they are a real alcoholic or not, but they say it to fit in, like it's expected....just a thought. "

I used to do that. I desperately needed somewhere to fit and I knew at some level that I was alcoholic, but didn't know what that meant. If you think about it, you have to be pretty screwed up to want to fit in in Alcoholics Anonymous.

I also used to say that I was an alcoholic and an addict because the counselor said to say that and most others were saying that too. Now I'm just an alcoholic.

Im open meetings I introduce myself by my first name, stating that I am a member of Alcoholics Anonymous. In closed meetings, I use my full name.

In our group's meeting, we don't ask any one to identify in any particular fashion. But if you are not alcoholic, you will be asked to leave.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ananda View Post
My ex-sponsor told me that the tradition started after a movie...i think wine and roses...where at the end of the movie the guy says I'm *** and *'m an alchoholic...
According to Susan Cheever's biography, it started with Bill Wilson, who used to start the first AA meetings in the Burnham house on Clinton St. by saying" My name is Bill Wilson and I'm an alcoholic."
Old 01-03-2010, 05:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
mergirl

It's funny because I have heard some grousing when people identify as an alcoholic/addict in our rooms, but generally speaking, as soon as said addict starts sharing I still hear the same sort of esh I hear from "plain old" alcoholics.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

Well

The way my sponsor put it "Let's focus work on the alcohol issue, see what happens, and go from there". Best advice EVAR!

My group welcomes addicts, but our closed meetings have a similar "alcohol only" announcement.
Many addicts say the AA meetings are much better than NA here. I'm both. I need to go support their meetings more often. Bill Wilson said we need to help get other groups on their feet. I know a few NA members who despise AA for some odd reason though.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It's not something that should need to be said. Unfortunatley it does.
We come to Alcoholics Anonymous to share our like mindedness. We fit in because we are supposed to be the same size.
As soon as somebody tosses in a hyphenated alcoholic title it immediatley states that they want to be better, different or "one up" other people in the room.
Principles before Personality dictates that "What I am" comes before "Who I am"
What I am is an Alcoholic and that's all that needs to be said because it says it all. Any Alcoholic should know the rest of the story. As soon as somebody says "-addict", I'm lost and don't understand anymore.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I identify myself as and alcoholic AND addict. The majority of people 35 and under have both issues. I don't care who I offend either. Dr. Bob was clearly a drug addict as well. You big book thumpers should not forget that.

tiburon 7
Old 01-05-2010, 01:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I identify as a 'double vision alcoholic'. Have been doing this for some time and have yet to cause any disruption in the meetings I attend. I do happen to attend some very open minded meetings (might be a local California thing) where others identify as alcoholic/addict and such. Anywho, the people in meetings that I attend have learned to not 'sweat the petty stuff' or it seems that way.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:55 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiburon88 View Post
I identify myself as and alcoholic AND addict.
Why does that not surprise me? I can honestly say it doesn't bother me when someone identifies as an alcoholic ANDA, or even as just an addict in an open meeting. They just don't know any better, and that's OK.

Next time you go to a meeting, see how the people there with multiple years of sobriety identify. I think you'll find that's it's generally people who are fairly new to the program that stick the ANDA on. And that's probably becaue they know very little about the AA Traditions and the idea of singleness of purpose.

Singleness of purpose, Tibs, is the issue. It's not about age or that almost everyone new to AA has some drug issues as well. It's that those drug issues are none of AA's business. It's irrelevant.

At some point, a good sponsor should educate the guys they work with a little about these ideas. Ideally, that newcomer is surrounded in a strong group and this education takes place by example, not lecture.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tiburon88 View Post
I identify myself as and alcoholic AND addict. The majority of people 35 and under have both issues. I don't care who I offend either. Dr. Bob was clearly a drug addict as well. You big book thumpers should not forget that.

tiburon 7
the traditions be damned , as long as you feel it's ok.

whether or not Dr bob or you are a drug addict is completely irrelevant to this matter.

do you also say where you are from when you identify? your weight? age? 40 yd, dash time?
Why not?
Old 01-05-2010, 04:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Most "andas" outgrow the need to dually identify. At least, I did, and I've watched as others have as well. Somewhere in those steps, I received sufficient humility that I no longer felt the need to set myself apart.

When I'm in an AA meeting, I identify as an alcoholic. When I'm in the occasional NA meeting, I identify as an addict. Both are true, and I know that at the root of both of those problems is a common cause. I'm in the meeting to receive and to share the solution, as laid out in the steps, so I don't waste time trying to be different.

It's about humility, not that I've used drugs alcoholically or eat too many Pringles or abstain from buying lottery tickets because gambling killed my grandfather and I don't want to be next.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-05-2010, 05:45 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

On one hand I can see that.

Originally Posted by Sugah
Most "andas" outgrow the need to dually identify. At least, I did, and I've watched as others have as well. Somewhere in those steps, I received sufficient humility that I no longer felt the need to set myself apart.
I do set myself apart intentionally. Only because I have had AA members search me out after the meeting and approach me to ask about my dual diagnosis (mental stuff and alcoholism). Its a good ice breaker for those that have a duel disorder. Otherwise I wouldn't identify any differently form the majority of AA members.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:24 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please chill Remember....

From our SR Policy Rules and Posting Forum

4. No Flaming: Posting of any content with the intention of disrupting the forum or inflaming members-be it on someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program. This includes flaming, flame baiting, registration of multiple accounts or impersonation of another member. Do not Harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress or discomfort upon another Online Forum participant. This includes flaming on our forums or other public forums.

No posts that attack, insult, "flame", defame, or abuse members or non-members. Respect other members of the community and don’t belittle, make fun of or insult another member or non-member. Decisions about health and recovery are highly personal, individual choices. "Flaming" and insults, however, will not be tolerated. Agree to disagree. This applies to both the forums and chat.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
That is why I have removed posts.
Thank you
Old 01-07-2010, 11:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Looking for the exact tradition? Long form of Tradition Three:

3.) Our membership ought to include all who suffer from alcoholism. Hence we may refuse none who wish to recover. Nor ought A.A. membership ever depend upon money or conformity. Any two or three alcoholics gathered together for sobriety may call themselves an A.A. Group, provided that, as a group, they have no other affiliation.

It doesn't say "all who suffer from alcoholism and other addictions". It says alcoholism only. Right there any AA group's conscience can expel anyone but pure alcoholics - or addicts with a genuine alcoholic history. So, your group is being very liberal by just asking that you only identify as alcoholic. They're not kicking you out for talking about drugs as well, it doesn't sound like.

Further on, it says "Any two or three alcoholics gathered together for sobriety may call themselves an A.A. Group, provided that, as a group, they have no other affiliation"

It does not say "alcoholics and addicts gathered together for sobriety and to stay clean can call themselves whatever they want" -- it says "alcoholics gathered for sobriety may call themselves an AA Group".

It's funny, the very same Tradition in it's short form - the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking - gets used to justify addicts who can say "well I belong here, I don't want to drink" and has caused so many problems along these lines -- the long form of the same tradition can be used to keep any AA group as pure as it ought to be.