Notices

Discipline Advice?

Old 12-30-2009, 10:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Nonexistent Willpower

Discipline Advice?

If there's anything I struggle with I would have to say it's discipline.

I've been reading the "Procrastination" thread in the Anxiety section, but not really learning or relating a lot. Probably because I'm so hard headed.

I know in the AA book it says to the effect "We alcoholics are undisciplined, so we ask God to discipline us."

Well I always have room for improvement in prayer. But there must be something I'm missing. I would be grateful to hear any advice.

In the meantime I will be working a fear inventory on this and hopefully I can nail some shortcomings. I know if I can properly incorporate it into the steps anything is possible.

Thanks
Old 12-30-2009, 11:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

"... in the simple way that we have just outlined."

Yeah. So, let's just do that 11th Step before we go to bed now.

When we retire at night, we constructively review our day.

Were we resentful, selfish, dishonest, or afraid?

Do we owe an apology?

Have we kept something to ourselves which should be discussed with another person at once?

Were we kind and loving toward all?

What could we have done better?

Were we thinking of ourselves most of the time?

Or were we thinking of what we could do for others, of what we could pack into the stream of life?

But we must be careful not to drift into worry, remorse, or morbid reflection, for that would diminish our usefulness to others.

After making our review, we ask God's forgiveness and inquire what corrective measures should be taken.

So that's about 10 things we do before we retire at night. Then there's a few things we do in the morning during "On awakening..." Then a few things we can do throughout the day, like a prayer that we be shown throughout the day what our next step is to be, ask for freedom from self will... but ask for ourselves if others are to be helped, point out where religious people are right, make use of what they offer, pause when agitated or doubtful, then going back to step 10, we can add that to our "throughout the day" too.

We can watch, ask, discuss, turn, and carry...

A bunch of neat stuff that can help us with discipline. I've got the next 8 months to play with it before we do another set of steps and about 5 or 6 weeks until a big spiritual retreat we do in the Buena Vista mountains every year. I'm psyched!