Notices

matt talbot retreat?

Old 04-23-2009, 09:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
problem with authority

matt talbot retreat?

lots of guys around me are talking about this retreat. has anyone been to one? i don't know anything about it.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is a Matt Talbot Center here in Seattle, I was curious who that was, so I googled him. He was an Irish homeless street guy who got sober through God and was an inspiration to a lot of people. A retreat named after him sounds like it would be a really good thing. Let us know how it was if you go!
Old 04-24-2009, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
problem with authority

Thanks. I will. Too late to sign up for the retreat, but there's an open meeting and bonfire that sounds pretty great.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You can find info on Wickipedia about Matt Talbot
very interesting story IMO

From what I know of his history...
I would guess it is going to be a strong spiritual based retreat.

Let us know how it works out FI.....
Old 04-24-2009, 02:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Looks great

Matt Talbot Retreat Movement, Inc.

Hope that is the right link?!

TOTALLY OFF TOPIC: I went on a retreat for 2 days at 14 when i was confirmed, listen to this...the private school i went to had decided to put together the 2 religions of catholic and church of england, as a result we were confirmed at 14, and had regular sunday church with the body and blood of christ but (bit of wine and the circle paper of bread) but no confession...imagine trying to explain that to a catholic! Went to this great place in the middle of nowhere run by Nuns, stayed 2 to a room and i remember the quiet, there was no noise whatsoever and that really freaked me out! I also remember watching the television with the Nuns (whilst all the other boys were trying to find the nearest bar) and being quite confused as to the Nuns watching boxing, shouting on their guy to beat the other one...funny!

Anyways this looks spot on IMO!
Old 04-27-2009, 03:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
God's Kid

In my city there is a house run by an AA woman called Matt Talbot and I always wondered where the name was from. Mostly old street drunks live there some sober, some not. A bit random but there you are.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Matt Talbot Retreats

Hey, I just finished my eighth Matt Talbot retreat this past weekend. They are a great experience and a nice vehicle for improving one's conscious contact with one's Higher Power. Each retreat experience has been a little different - some caused an immediate "bump"; others had concepts that sort of came to surface later. Some focus on steps; other The Traditions and applying them in my daily life. All have been positive.
My only suggestions are to go with no preconceptions; turn off the cell phone/ Blackberry while you are there; be open-minded; and take the time to make new friends. It's about expanding the "safety net." And the repeat attendees are those who continue to work Step 11. Hang with them.

Good luck!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Matt Talbot Retreats

Matt Talbot retreats are a way to learn more about the 12 Steps and myself. I have enjoyed learning in an informal way with others in a restive location many times because like AA meetings they get progressively better and no two are ever alike!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:06 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Ahhhhh...Matt Talbot Retreat...

For at least 20 years, I attended one twice a year at a retreat house close to the ocean in Long Branch, NJ. It was conducted by recovering alcoholic priests...I found the messages powerful, the group sessions spiritual, the atmosphere peaceful...the entire experience was very uplifting.

I'm no longer physically able to be there, but I sincerely miss those retreats. I do hope you will be able to get to a Matt Talbot Retreat...highly recommended!!!

Retreatants have actually been praying for many years that Venerable Matt Talbot will eventually be beatified and canonized...it would be nice for alcoholics to have their very own patron saint...God knows we could make good use of one.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I did a couple my first few years in AA. I always ended up doing a fourth and fifth step.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

A great idea

It's a great way to work and live in the solution and a wonderful way to put the steps in your life
Old 06-27-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

RagPeddler...Welcome to our recovery community...
Old 06-29-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

This is a very popular thread...with only 13 posts, there have been 2,810 views. Maybe, more people will be encouraged to look into Matt Talbot Retreats!!!
Old 06-29-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

YEY!!!!! A solution based post!!! I absolutely applaud that!!!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

For the first time in many years, I may be able to make at least part of a Matt Talbot retreat...the same one I used to attend all those years ago. I just have to work out the logistics of transportation...it's a problem being in the wheelchair.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I went to one in 2005 haven't been back since. Not because I didn't like it, the old "time and money" deal. Having become a dad since then with three kids and wrapping up school I couldn't find the time.

Can't wait to go back to one or two and perhaps make it a regular deal. In my area it's some place in West Virginia near Charlestowne I think. A retreat, and gambling down the street :rotfxko

But it's an awesome experience. I witnessed a father forgive his son for being responsible for the death of the other son due to drinking. The moment was about as powerful a moment as I could imagine.

The "silent box" or whatever it's called. The fellowship, it's really a great experience.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

A relevant 3 year old post!
Old 08-22-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by aablessed29 View Post
YEY!!!!! A solution based post!!! I absolutely applaud that!!!
Yeah! .....and with not posts about "......AA isn't the only way.....I found recovery by doing X or Y" yet.

One another aside, I'm leaving for a 3 day AA retreat (well, Fri night, Saturday, and half of Sunday) this weekend. Sounds similar....other than the one I'm going to is held at a Jesuit Retreat house and all retreats there are done in the Ignatian style - ie, silent. There's a leader who does some talking Saturday but most of the time there is totally quiet.

Amazing what some REAL silence can do for your conscious contact.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post

Sounds similar....other than the one I'm going to is held at a Jesuit Retreat house and all retreats there are done in the Ignatian style - ie, silent. There's a leader who does some talking Saturday but most of the time there is totally quiet.
Sounds similar... to the one I went to at a Carthusian Monastery. We had to remain silent all but one day a year when we were called before a review console. Even then we were only allowed to say two words.

The first year I was asked: "How would you sum up your past years experience in two words?"

"Food cold!" I replied.

The second year I was asked: "How would you sum up your past years experience in two words?"

"Bed hard!" I replied.

The third year I was asked: "How would you sum up your past years experience in two words?"

"I quit!" I replied.

The Monsignor of the console spoke up "We are not surprised. You have done nothing but complain since you got here." :rotfxko
Old 04-08-2017, 02:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Actually, Talbot wasn't homeless. He lived a simple, austere, life but had his own apartment which was a shrine after he died.

I just got done reading the "basic text" for the Talbot way of recovery ("To Slake a Thirst") and highly recommend it to Christians in recovery.