Notices

god as i do NOT understand him..

Old 04-02-2009, 05:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

re: "God of my understanding" or "God as I understand God"

my thoughts on this...

keywords: God, my, understand
1. God= All That Is, Infinite Intellligence, The Creator,The Creative Principle, Spirit of the Universe, Higher Consciousness
2. understand= to stand under.

This phrase and BB reference, therefore, TO ME, implies and instructs my relationship to God (as jim points out), not who or what God is, either in my mind or in some other form
Old 04-02-2009, 05:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

As human beings it is not for us to understand God. All we need to do it try to understand what 'He' requires of us and to follow that path closely. Easier said than done eh?
Old 04-03-2009, 02:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

My sponsor early on in my recovery this time around had me write down the qualities my God had and what He stands for. I thought it would be an easy task but it took some work on my part. I was and still am determined to be honest, open-minded and willing so it took a few weeks to do this because I had lost my faith in God somewhere in the bottle. I learned thru this task that an emotional elation was what I always expected to "feel" about God and when I wasn't feeling that then no god. I reconnected to God this simple way--For the first several months I would break out this paper and read it and I was comforted by this. I believe now that the God of my understanding has placed who he is in my heart and when I was having a hard time retrieving this knowledge on my own then this exercise suggested by my sponsor worked because I was willing to do it.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Question Open-mindedness

With all this open-mindedness floating all around, where lies the idea that there simply is no Higher Power to understand? Perhaps it's all just an attempt by mankind to manage the fear of death. We are just biological beings, not all that different from a worm (except the cellular complexity) .... do worms have religion or a Higher Power?
Old 09-04-2011, 09:17 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

redding090.....Welcome...

Our site is dedicated to helping people with their recoveries
and this Forum is where we discuss such from the point of view
in the recovery program of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Are you an alcoholic interested in our AA program?
Then do begin a new thread on this Forum please.

are you in need of help with your addictions or trying to assist someone else?

If so....please begin your own thread in Newcomers so members will better be able to read of your situation....

Click here to find Newcomers

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/
Old 09-04-2011, 01:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by sugErspun View Post
~ I came to some sort of understanding, even if it's that I CANNOT understand god...and moved forward. It's illogical in a way, because the word "understand" has a definite meaning.
I have gone full circle with my understanding of God. I started out with simple blind faith. That is, I bought what my church taught me, without questioning it. Then I went on to questioning everything about God. Then I progressed to a rational understanding of God.

However, now that I have gotten some results due to spiritual experiences (more than one), I have started to see what Soren Kierkegaard was talking about when he said "Trust in the absurd is the highest level of faith".

I no longer think I understand God in any logical sense. Rather I know God is there "somewhere". But I also know God will always play shell games with me if I try to guess which shell he is under at this moment.

Meister Eckhart would not even admit that God was good....Eckhart's position was that anything that was good can become better, and whatever may become better may become best. God cannot be referred to as "good", "better", or best because He is above all things. If a man says that God is wise, the man is lying because anything that is wise can become wiser. Anything that a man might say about God is incorrect, even calling Him by the name of God. God is "superessential nothingness" and "transcendent Being"..."beyond all words and beyond all understanding. The best a man can do is remain silent, because anytime he prates on about God, he is committing the sin of lying. The true master knows that if he had a God he could understand, He would never hold Him to be God.'