Notices

A.A. is for you..

Old 03-14-2009, 06:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A.A. is for you..

lately at my meetings we have had a huge increase in "new" folks walking in with their court slips.. a lot of younger folks who are sentenced to go to A.A. many of these people are not sure that they belong.. while many of these people will go back to drinking.. there is always someone who ends up staying. A.A. is for anyone with a desire to stop drinking.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It's my experience that many come into AA with the desire
to want ..... to want to quit.

That's why I continue to share the joy recovery brings.

Plenty of room for everyone....
Old 03-14-2009, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

we had a discussion recently on another board about this and our AA literature.Real alcoholics,hard drinkers,low bottoms,high bottoms,and even potential alcoholics are welcome......to join AA....if they want help
Old 03-14-2009, 08:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Absolutely anyone can attend an open meeting. As a group member, I warmly introduce myself to newcomers and folks I haven't seen before. I find out a bit about them. I see if they are alcoholic, craving? obsession of the mind? this can all be done in about a three minute conversation.

I do this for many reasons, mainly, I want to be of service, but I also want to know damn sure who is the real deal and needs to do the work, and who is just hanging out enjoying the fellowship.

I have no issue with hard drinkers, high bottoms, etc.. in meetings, I have a major concern when someone like this stays in AA and starts sponsoring people like me, an alcoholic who is beyond human aid. A spiritual experience sufficient to recover from alcoholism cannot be transmitted by someone who hasn't had one. It's like wanting to give someone 20 bucks you don't have. Sure the intent is nice, but the money just isn't there.

Maybe it's my arrogance, but I believe I have a duty to watch for the guy who is like me, I pray before meetings to have someone put in my life I can work with, this pray is regularly answered and my life is richer for it.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hate the break it to people, but a lot of people who are required to attend AA meetings really do not want to quit at all, but just play along. This is a waste of time for the person, the courts, and the kind people in AA who want to help newcomers. No one wins.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hate the break it to people, but a lot of people who are required to attend AA meetings really do not want to quit at all, but just play along. This is a waste of time for the person, the courts, and the kind people in AA who want to help newcomers. No one wins.
I was one of those people. In and out for 6 years. I give thanks to the kind people who didn't feel that they were wasting their time on me. WHen they found out I was not interested in AA but was only there for my courtslip they offered me friendship and fellowship instead. Every now and then one would say that If I ever wanted to stop for good, AA was a way that worked for many. They never gave me any crap when I showed up at meetings drunk ( as long as I minded my manners). When I was ready, I knew where to turn. I don't think I am very unique in that area. I have heard many stories just like mine.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thing is Eroica we've learned that while our alcoholic mind is only interested in the quick fix and immediate gratification - and will condemn anything and everything which doesn't give us that - in recovery we've begun to learn that growth takes time, that the moment has a purpose other than simply to gratify us, that we can't calculate all of the implications of an action, and that by being mindful of only the things for which we have genuine responsibility - our motives and actions - we can do the right thing without getting disappointed that we haven't "made" some suffering alcoholic "get it".
Old 03-15-2009, 05:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

good thing is-if the group is strong,paper signers won`t hurt it much
the HP as He expresses Himself thru the group is greater than the courts
Old 03-15-2009, 12:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I think I plan on attending my first AA meeting tonight. I am really nervous and still have panic attack anxiety coming off my withdrawal in the hospital. My heart is sort of pounding now of thinking of going but most of everyone on here is telling me to go and how much of a miracle it is.

We'll see, I might give it a few more days but I really want to attack my problem now while my latest scare is on the tip of my head.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
friend of bill w.

future22..please let us know how your meeting went. Ask if you can get a 'big book'...that is where the program is explained. AA is not just going to meetings, it is working the steps, gettin a sponsor, etc. Everything you need to know about how the program works is in the book.

I have noticed alot of people on some of the forums would go to one or two meetinngs & then complain that aa did'nt 'work' for them.
....''it works...IF you work it''!

Get a big book, get a sponsor, work the steps...& have fun in sobriety! ''We are not a glum lot!''
Old 03-15-2009, 05:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just got back from my first meeting and it went great. Though there were only 5 of us there. I am actually glad it was small. Everyone was very kind to me and open. They told me their stories and how it AA changed their lives.

A got a couple of number and they gave me the Twelve Step book and the big book. I plan on dabbling it in between all my school work.

I plan on attending another meeting either tomorrow night or Tuesday night. They recommended me a bunch of meetings.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Hi Future,

I plan on attending another meeting either tomorrow night or Tuesday night. They recommended me a bunch of meetings

Good for you......stick with the winners!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 05:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Lack 'a' power

Originally Posted by Eroica View Post
I tell people to get mad at me if they must. Share their anger. Then move on. But please, please, please don't drink at me over it.
This is only my opinion but the one I learned about in step 3 and continue to learn about in step 11 is the one who leads people to meetings. Not the courts or anyone else.

It don't matter what you think of me, I love you all !!
Old 03-15-2009, 05:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Here's my EHS on this: I was just sharing with a girl in my fellowship (I attend AA and NA) that I was finding myself "judging" who belongs in what room. Who was going to go back out and be a waste of my time and energy. She reminded me that she met me the first week I came to meetings. She reminded me what a hot mess I was. How unlikely I looked to stick and stay. Most of us look like that when we're new. You just never know. Give everyone a chance. That's what I'm going to pray to keep doing.

Love,
KJ
Old 03-15-2009, 08:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Smile

..just give it a chance.. you never know what might happen!