Notices

Daily Reflections

Old 03-13-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Arrow Daily Reflections

*~*~*~*~*^Daily Reflections^*~*~*~*~*

A WORLD OF THE SPIRIT

We have entered the world of the Spirit. Our next function is to grow in understanding and effectiveness. This is not an overnight matter. It should continue for our lifetime.

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, P. 84

The word "entered" . . . and the phrase "entered into the world of the Spirit" are very significant. They imply action, a beginning, getting into, a prerequisite to maintaining my spiritual growth, the "Spirit" being the immaterial part of me. Barriers to my spiritual growth are self-centeredness and a materialistic focus on worldly things. Spirituality means devotion to spiritual instead of worldly things, it means obedience to God's will for me. I understand spiritual things to be: unconditional love, joy, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, self-control and humility. Any time I allow selfishness, dishonesty, resentment and fear to be a part of me, I block out spiritual things. As I maintain my sobriety, growing spiritually becomes a lifelong process. My goal is spiritual growth, accepting that I'll never have spiritual perfection.

copyright 1990 ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS WORLD SERVICES, INC.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

I love this, it explains very simply something that so many people miss. I know I did for most of my life and am only now beginning to understand it.

I am a Physical, Mental and Spiritual being.

I know how wonderful it feels to be in great physical shape. I love it. To feel young and strong as if I will live forever.

The spiritual part of me is as real as the physical. How do I know?

To be in good spiritual health is to feel the easing of lonelyness, fear, and anxiety. Spiritual health fills the empty hole inside of me. The way to grow spiritualy is covered well in this qoate from the Daily Reflections.
Barriers to my spiritual growth are self-centeredness and a materialistic focus on worldly things.
To test this spiritual part of me I apply
spiritual things: unconditional love, joy, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, self-control and humility.
Any time I allow selfishness, dishonesty, resentment and fear to be a part of me, I block out spiritual things
Blocking out spiritual things allows for the spiritual part of me to be weak and alcohol to appear to be a working solution to the spiritual weakness of empty, lonely fear.

I found my mental health to grow naturally along with my spiritual growth.

This Daily Reflection is a simple reminder of an important very real part of who I am.

Thanks for sharing it Carol.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I throughly enjoy this as well, but am reminded that it does not matter what others "get or not", I can't keep them sober , just myself with God's help. When I am focused on others to the exclusion of myself, I am not taking care of my recovery life. My opinions matter nothing if there is no foundation in my life to base them on.