Notices

Prideful

Old 02-16-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Prideful

ie, full of pride.

I have had a rough couple of days. I am opening my mouth to various folks and a bunch of crap has been coming out. Then I find myself having a hard time seeing their side. So, last night I did the work and yes, good ole character defect PRIDE is what is to blame. My two year anniversary is on Saturday and I guess that I have been feeling a tad bit too "all that" about myself.

Time to repair the damage of the last few days and get on with the work.

Just wanted to share..

Karen
Old 02-16-2009, 09:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

ty Karen
first off,I wish you a early congratulations of your 2 years.Good to see you have got onto the solution.

I remember my 2nd anniversary well.I was getting right cocky,a real know it all,and a good friend(Jim) asked me something one day,how long have you been sober Tommy?
I puffed out my chest and proudly proclaimed "2 years".(thinking I had done something great!)
Well,he said,you act like someone who has been sober two years.

Needless to say I got mad.I went home after work steaming.After I cooled off,I realized my friend Jim was correct.I did have a problem and pride was leading the way.I made my mind up I was going to get better and show that guy by working on the steps harder.
What Jim did was what another alcoholic referred to in another thread as "hitting a alcoholic between the eyes with a 2x4." He really didn`t hit me with anything but words,but it cut thru self and helped me see the light and get better.I got mad because of my pride and immaturity.I appreciate Jim today.That night,he came to the meeting and gave me his old 2 yr medallion.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Oh Karen, you gave me a real good chuckle with this one!!!!!! lol

Strange things happen to many of us when "Anniversary Time" rolls around.

Slowly it does get a bit less crazy, for me, only because I know it's going to happen, so I become more DILIGENT about thinking BEFORE I SPEAK or take any action of any kind.

I think we all get a LITTLE SILLY around Anniversay Time and the 'silliness' can takes some strange forms .............................. becoming opinionated, getting giddy, getting sad.

You are exactly where you are suppose to be (hmmmm wonder how many times you have heard that one? rofl)

The fact that you recongnized your actions so quickly shows how well you are working your program of recovery. Your recovery is shining!!!!!!!

It does get better, at least it has for me.

Love and hugs,
Old 02-16-2009, 10:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Oh Karen, I have fallen into the 'pompous ass' category more times than I care to count!

Good for you in taking an inventory and recognizing where the work needs to be done.

I've found that anniversaries are definitely 'squirrely time' for me!

:ghug :ghug
Old 02-16-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Ago

I USED to like you...........

/hug just kidding about the like you part

I am going through it too right now, I don't know whether to sh1t, fish, or cut bait....

I did 5-7 (for the seventh time) yesterday and I'm wondering if I'm having fallout from that...it's weird, I'm angry, prideful, weepy....just completely full of ......oof.....
Old 02-16-2009, 11:53 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
God's Kid

Your post made me laugh, I too get into the mindset that I have 'made it' in my recovery. I.e. am cured or just so spiritually well, I should be delegated 'saint hood'.

Then something always kicks the throne out from under me and forces me to join the rest of the world as a human being.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Old 02-16-2009, 03:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
IO Storm

It is not easy being an alkie!

We are either too hard on ourselves..beating ourselves up.

Or we are stuck in self.

(Talking about me..maybe I should just say I here!)

But..maybe someone can relate....

I find, the longer the stay sober..the awareness of my condition kicks

in sooner..the realization.

And that..is neat.

It is a journey.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
IO Storm

NMM..

And all of you for your posts.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

They don't call it the terrible two's for nothing.

I am pretty sure that I was a real know-it-all pain-in-the-ass when I was sober a couple of years. I think it is a stage we all go through, maybe more than once. Luckily, most of us survive it.

I kind of look for the guys I sponsor to go through this stage. Actually, there are few other stages first. The evangelistic stage and the "You are not doing it right" stage can precede or go along with the terrible twos. To me, these stages are natural, a part of spiritual growth. You'll be fine.

Happy two years.
Jim
Old 02-16-2009, 06:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ago

Originally Posted by jimhere View Post
They don't call it the terrible two's for nothing.

I am pretty sure that I was a real know-it-all pain-in-the-ass when I was sober a couple of years. I think it is a stage we all go through, maybe more than once. Luckily, most of us survive it.

I kind of look for the guys I sponsor to go through this stage. Actually, there are few other stages first. The evangelistic stage and the "You are not doing it right" stage can precede or go along with the terrible twos. To me, these stages are natural, a part of spiritual growth. You'll be fine.

Happy two years.
Jim
Abso f * cking lutely

I just hate it when it's me....

I just wrote in another thread:

When you are at the top of the mountain, there is only one way to go, and that's down, and it's best if you take a good long look, cause that's where you are headed......soon