Notices

We are not a glum lot

Old 11-15-2008, 07:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

We are not a glum lot

We have shown how we got out from under. You say: "Yes, I'm willing. But am I to be consigned to a life where I shall be stupid, boring and glum, like some righteous people I see? I know I must get along without liquor, but how can I? Have you a sufficient substitute?"

Yes, there is a substitute, and it is vastly more than that. It is a Fellowship in Alcoholics Anonymous. There you will find release from care, boredom, and worry. Your imagination will be fired. Life will mean something at last. The most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead. Thus we find The Fellowship, and so will you.

"How is that to come about?" you ask. "Where am I to find these people?"

You are going ot meet these new friends in your own community. Near you alcoholics are dying helplessly like people in a sinking ship. If you live in a large place, there are hundreds. High and low, rich and poor, these are future Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous. Among them you will make lifelong friends. You will be bound to them with new and wonderful ties, for you will escape disaster together and you will commence shoulder to shoulder your common yourney. Then you will know what it means to give of yourself, that others may survive and rediscover life. You will learn the full meaning of "Love thy neighbor as thyself." Big Book chapter A Vision For You)
What could be more stupid than to kill oneself through excess and addiction? What could be more boring than to be blocked off from God, from our fellows, and from life itself by our attitudes, outlook and behaviors? What could be more glum than the destruction of all things worthwhile in life brought about by alcoholism? We very quickly find our new way of life vastly superior to our old life.

Learning to give of ourselves fills the hole in our spirit caused by our former slothful indifference to our responsibilites and to the welfare of others. The incalculable benefits of self-sacrifice replace the baleful results of selfishness. To awaken spiritually and find fellowship with others united in a great purpose gives us a satisfaction and sense of fulfillment we never dreamed possible.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i am of the persuasion
if this is what you need to post to stay sober
so be it

best
fraankie
Old 11-17-2008, 05:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Glum was me the last 5 years of my drinking. M-F my life was:

1. Wake up @ 3:20am
2. Shower, shave and get dressed.
3. Feed the dogs in the garage
4. Put 8 beers in my cooler along with my ice packs.
5. Drive to work.
6. Work.
7. Start thinking about the beer in the truck @ noon.
8. Leave work @ 1PM.
9. Pop top @ 1:05PM
10. Pop tops & drink all the way home.
11. Stop at 7-11 to get more beer.
12. Go home & sit in garage drinking by myself.
13. Fix dinner.
14. Eat dinner
15. Return to garage to finish job.
16. Go to bed.

REPEAT.

Weekends go to garage & drink until it job is done and go to bed.

Once I got sober life began again for me, I am a husband, a father, a member of AA, I live life to its fullest enjoying my freedom from self and alcohol.

I sure do not miss sitting in that garage alone, drinking, listening to the radio, & trying to read the newspaper watching the world pass me by!
Old 11-17-2008, 09:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
where the light is

Yes, there is a substitute, and it is vastly more than that. It is a Fellowship in Alcoholics Anonymous. There you will find release from care, boredom, and worry. Your imagination will be fired. Life will mean something at last.
I had a bad attitude about the fellowship this past week. At one meeting, one member physically threatened another member (yelling & swearing). At another meeting, I found the shares to be very lengthy & repetitive (not everyone got a chance to speak). I was also listening to some newer, younger members talk – the gossip, people using AA as a dating service. My first impulse was to pull back, limit my involvement – who wants to do something if you end up feeling bad afterwards? Reflecting back, though, this was only a small part of my experience. I learned, I helped others, and my sobriety is that much stronger. I enjoy the AA fellowship but I have to accept that it is not perfect and, in my opinion, not always as it is described in the Big Book.

Learning to give of ourselves fills the hole in our spirit caused by our former slothful indifference to our responsibilities and to the welfare of others. The incalculable benefits of self-sacrifice replace the baleful results of selfishness.
A driving force in my recovery – responsibility. As a father, husband, friend, AA member etc. Recognizing my selfishness, recognizing my responsibilities, and doing what I am supposed to do. Life is infinitely better!
Old 11-17-2008, 10:13 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

a sense of humor and enjoying life are critical to my sobriety...doesn't have to be like that all the time...but it had best be some of the time.

If everything were serious and somber all the time, I'm not sure I would see a point in being sober.

Sure, I have responsiblilities, but that isn't all that is in my life today. I enjoy talking, teasing and playing around which is something i never did drinking. Drinking was somber and definatly un-fun
Old 11-17-2008, 10:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been going to AA every day since my last relapse. I have 35 days today. My homegroup is certainly not a glum lot. They are gently and kindly loving me, because I'm not there yet. I cry at the drop of a hat. Yesterday I started tearing up while reading aloud the 12 traditions. Don't have a clue
as to why. This group is literally saving my life as I struggle to understand the steps. I'm not questioning the steps, it's still hard to feel the connection to a higher power and figure out exactly what I should do in working them.

I received my 30 day chip last week. A woman with 22 years sober also presented me with a necklace she had made for me. It is a beautiful silver neckace with pink tourmaline stones. In it she enclosed a note that said, the necklace had 30 stones, none of them perfect, all just a little different and they represented my first thirty days in sobriety. I cherish the necklace as much as my 30 day chip. This woman doesn't really know me at all, but she cared so much about me.

I'm sorry if this is a little off topic to this thread. I just felt a need to share this with others that are involved in AA. Thank you.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

No apology needed mtnmagic, thanks for sharing that, especially about the necklace..... BTW I have been sober over 2 years, worked the steps, I am a 55 year old good old boy that looks a bit rough and I still tear up on occasion....... and to be honest, I have no shame in shedding a tear or 2.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

????

Originally Posted by fraankie View Post
i am of the persuasion
if this is what you need to post to stay sober
so be it

best
fraankie

????
Old 11-23-2008, 06:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nobody wants to get sober and be miserable; in AA I saw people who seemed genuinely happy. There is a *ton* of laughter and talk at the meetings I go to, and that is exactly what I need, and what I think newcomers need to see (even though they might not understand it at first).

I noticed that people who were genuinely happy to-the-core seemed to be those that had worked the steps of AA, had sponsors, and attended meetings. That's what I wanted in the beginning, and so I did that. And I can honestly say that today, life is magnitudes better, and more exciting than it used to be (though life is life - not everything is perfect all the time!).

We are definitely not a glum lot!!!