Notices

Closed AA meeting and NA's?????

Old 03-06-2008, 03:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Closed AA meeting and NA's?????

Had a guy after a meeting come up to me last night with a problem....... he asked me what I thought of an addict at a Closed AA meeting? He said "She didn't say she was an alcoholic!" I told him I knew she was an addict, that I personally had no issue with her being there and that we should bring it up at the next group conscious, he seemed okay with that.

Okay now here is where I am seeking guidance/opinions. I spoke to my grandsponsors wife after he spoke with me about this and she said she is going to need to think on it, she said she may talk to her and suggest she state she is an addict that does not want to drink today or something to that effect. I suggested that we hold off on any action until we have a group conscious, she agreed.

Okay here is my take on it, we can go one of 2 ways, we can vote to make it an open meeting (We just voted to make it a closed meeting about 3 months ago!), or we can keep it closed, but allow NA members to attend?

Okay now there is one part of the Traditions that would lead one to not keep the meeting closed.

Five—Each group has but one primary purpose—to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers.
If it is a closed AA meeting, allowing an addict, not alcoholic to attend would not be sticking with the primary purpose.

Okay now I look at this tradition:

Two—For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority—a loving God as He may express Himself in our group conscience. Our leaders are but trusted servants; they do not govern.
I ask myself would my HP want to exclude an addict because they are not an alcoholic? My HP would have me find a way to allow her to stay.

Three—The only requirement for A.A. membership is a desire to stop drinking.
She desires to stay clean & sober! She wants to not drink.

Four—Each group should be autonomous except in matters affecting other groups or A.A. as a whole.
Here is an opening where I see we could if the group wishes to keep the meeting closed and allow an addict in we could work with. I was thinking the chair could announce at the beginning of every meeting some thing to the effect of:

"Welcome to the "Over The Hump" groups Wednesday night closed discussion meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous that is open to NA members as well."

The above would be the group exercising its autonomity with out affecting other groups or A.A. as a whole.

This whole issue would be a mute point if we had an NA meeting every night, we don't. This lady has 7 months, her husband is in the program as well, he does not attend this meeting.

What do you all think?
Old 03-06-2008, 03:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi hon.

over here in my neck o the woods - closed meant closed meant closed.

meant limited to the discussion of alcohol, by alcoholics amongst alcoholics.

an' datt ... meant pretty much datt.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

How could this woman share on her problem with alcohol
if she has no problem?

I've tried several times to sponsor members who were in
the same situation as she is. I could not relate nor
could they relate to me.

That's not giveing you an answer...
only sharing my experience

Why does she not attend open meetings?
Old 03-06-2008, 04:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
problem with authority

Question

I am probably too new to have an authoritative opinion on this (but that's never stopped me before...)

I can only share my experience, which is that recently, at a closed meeting I have just begun to pull away from, we had an addict/alcoholic who was just out of rehab show up. Now, that's all well and good, but she had with her an addict friend (seven months clean) who was there for support and who announced such but did not say he was an alcoholic.

I could see some of the "viewers with alarm" squirming in their seats and giving each other strained looks, but I thank God none of them said anything.

I am trying to think this issue through and visualize what it would mean if this rule were not enforced at all. I suppose a room full of heroin addicts sharing about their experiences injecting drugs would not exactly be what I had in mind in going to an AA meeting. But I fail to see the benefit of enforcing these rules for such one-off cases. I would rather see it used as a helping/teaching moment than a strident defence of the group. But I am willing to hear other perspectives.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Taz, I attend a closed BB meeting. It's my home group. Call us crazy, but 80 percent are alkies, 15 percent identify as alkie/addict, and we have one woman who is Alanon and identifies as "friend of Lois W". Since this meeting is recovery based, there is not a lot of "user-a-logs" anywhere..so it's a room full of folks trying to stay sober and clean.

I'd hold the group conscious and allow addicts in. What are you going to do? Tell em "oops, sorry, we can't help". That would bother me..

Karen
Old 03-06-2008, 04:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank God AA did not turn me away when I first got clean/sober. I wasn't sure I had a problem with alcohol, but I was willing to keep an open mind. I did not openly discuss my drugging at the meetings as it was always stated to keep our shares limited to our problems as they relate to alcohol.

After relapsing on alcohol, I was convinced I was an alcoholic too.

AA is all we have in our small town.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Closed meetings are for people seeking help for THEIR drinking problem, which would mean that Al-Anons should not attend a closed AA meeting.

As for the addicts, if they have a history of alcoholism, by all means they are welcome. I would suggest reading the pamphlet "Problems Other Than Alcohol." Bill spells it out pretty clearly.
Jim
Old 03-06-2008, 06:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

If she started sharing things about drugging I could not relate at all, she so far has limited her shares to steps and questions about the steps. In this regards I have yet to hear a single difference between NA & AA steps nor the solution.

I only have 18 months so maybe I am a bit niave, but I see no difference between the NA & AA solution or the steps except step one.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

IMHO, closed is closed. We cant save the world.
We had a few NAs coming to our closed meetings and everyone said let them come they don't bother anyone. Shortly after we had a couple Alanons in the meeting as well. One day an Incest Survivor showed up and read their preamble. This was not an AA meeting anymore it was a self help group.
Closed is closed.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Taz,
Your good heart is in the right place, but this has been tried and it does not work. "Singleness of Purpose".

Our primary purpose is?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Did some checking around, turns out there is an NA meeting that night. I can see the points every one has made. Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:41 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I believe that at one time A.A. finally dropped all its membership regulations based on what is read in Tradition 3 the long form. However groups seem to be able to change give or take.

The stories in the Big Book all four versions mention doing drugs as well as drinking. Someone who primarily used alcohol can not relate to someone who used drugs and someone who has used drugs cannot relate to some who just drinks.

Bottles were but a symbol.

Selfishness-self centeredness! That we think is the root of our troubles. We were driven by a hundred forms of fear, self delusion, self seeking, resentment, and self pity.

It’s not that I smoke crack, or guzzle vodka, it’s that I needed to get rid of all these problems. So what is the real problem, lack of power! I needed to get God in my life and work the 12 steps.

I’d let her attend and let God work it out; to be helpful is my only aim. Who am I to deny someone something that was so freely given to me?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Personally - I respect both NA and Alanon.

I would not force myself into one of their closed meetings. I am at meetings to contribute - not to save my own arse. If this girl is hurting so bad and gets relief from attending the closed AA meeting (and refuses to identify as someone who suffers from alcoholism) - why don't one of the group skip the meeting, take her out to coffee and sit and talk one on one with her?

She'd probably get a lot more out of it. Heck, even take a BB with you and just change some of the words like CA did for so many years.

Closed is Closed is Closed - what part are we confused about?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:14 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I won't pretend to know or understand the details of AA you've mentioned, Taz. Here's what came to my mind.

I was a binge drinker, never a daily drinker. When I hear someone talk about having a drink in the morning so they could function and then another with lunch an so on... I cannot relate. A daily drinker probably has a hard time relating with the way a binge drinker drinks. So, I was thinking ...... may be there should be a whole bunch of different meetings: AA for the daily drinker, AA for the binge drinker, NA for pot smokers, NA for crack addicts, NA for cocaine addicts ..... and so on. That's not possible or even logical.

Some other things that ran through my mind:
Can an alcoholic go to an NA meeting? Does an alcoholic want to stay sober from only alcohol? Have you ever gotten great ESH from a recovering drug addict here at SR that's helped you?

I don't regularly go to AA meetings but the one's I've been to have helped me through a bad night or rough time. If I had been asked to leave for some reason, I cannot imagine what that would have done to me.

I do understand the need for closed meetings. I don't pretend to know the answer to this or have a great understanding of the inner workings/traditions etc. of AA. I just can't imagine, as a human being, turning someone away who is asking for help.

Bottom line, aren't we all just a bunch of addicts who can share our experience, strength and hope and possibly help others with their recovery?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:24 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

If there is NA available, she should attend that fellowship. I have heard from more than one NA'er though that their meetings tend to not be as spiritually centered as AA meetings. I wouldn't know from personal experience though.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugErspun View Post
Personally - I respect both NA and Alanon.

I would not force myself into one of their closed meetings. I am at meetings to contribute - not to save my own arse. If this girl is hurting so bad and gets relief from attending the closed AA meeting (and refuses to identify as someone who suffers from alcoholism) - why don't one of the group skip the meeting, take her out to coffee and sit and talk one on one with her?

She'd probably get a lot more out of it. Heck, even take a BB with you and just change some of the words like CA did for so many years.

Closed is Closed is Closed - what part are we confused about?
I come to AA and I have all these issues. Ok now lets say I'm doing crack, herion, and pills, with some booze. I have to give it all up right? I have to give it all up to be sober.

Yet the only requirment for membership is the desire to stop drinking. Why is it that I have to give everything up when comming into AA. AA doesnt want to get involved with drugs then why do you? Because its the right thing to do and I cant find God other wise.

What part are we confused about?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post

Can an alcoholic go to an NA meeting?

Thanks for mentioning this, PaperDolls. I was thinking about this too because at an AA meeting last night, a guy who had seen me at this other Sat. night meeting, invited me to go to a new Sat. night NA meeting that they were starting. Other than smoking pot a few times, I never really been a drug user.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well..that short form of the third tradition causes more problems that it solves.

"Our membership ought to include all who suffer from alcoholism. Hence we may refuse none who wish to recover. Nor ought A.A. membership ever depend upon money or conformity. Any two or three alcoholics gathered together for sobriety may call themselves an A.A. group, provided that, as a group, they have no other
affiliation."

The A.A. Tradition

If you are not suffering from alcoholism, why in the world would you want to be in a closed meeting of AA which is trying to carry the message to the ALCOHOLIC who still suffers from alcoholism?

That does not mean that the twelve steps can't help the addict who suffers. Just keep it out of closed meetings.

Ever heard the saying "AA kills drug addicts"?

If you cannot relate - you won't get very far.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

PaperDolls,

What you feel can not be diminished and that is why NA was founded. Open AA is for Alcoholics and those who love/care for the Alcoholic. Closed AA is for those with a desire to stop drinking. AA diluted by trying to be savior to all does not work.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
I won't pretend to know or understand the details of AA you've mentioned, Taz. Here's what came to my mind.

I was a binge drinker, never a daily drinker. When I hear someone talk about having a drink in the morning so they could function and then another with lunch an so on... I cannot relate. A daily drinker probably has a hard time relating with the way a binge drinker drinks. So, I was thinking ...... may be there should be a whole bunch of different meetings: AA for the daily drinker, AA for the binge drinker, NA for pot smokers, NA for crack addicts, NA for cocaine addicts ..... and so on. That's not possible or even logical.

Can an alcoholic go to an NA meeting? Does an alcoholic want to stay sober from only alcohol? Have you ever gotten great ESH from a recovering drug addict here at SR that's helped you?

I don't regularly go to AA meetings but the one's I've been to have helped me through a bad night or rough time. If I had been asked to leave for some reason, I cannot imagine what that would have done to me.

I do understand the need for closed meetings. I don't pretend to know the answer to this or have a great understanding of the inner workings/traditions etc. of AA. I just can't imagine, as a human being, turning someone away who is asking for help.

Bottom line, aren't we all just a bunch of addicts who can share our experience, strength and hope and possibly help others with their recovery?
I don't 'relate' to other alcoholics based on how much or how often I drank aclohol - that's not what it's about.

Alcoholism (AA) -
1> Allergy of the body, at certain times when alcohol is introduced to the body of the alcoholic the phenomenon of craving develops. Craving is defined by the absolute need to have more alcohol (physical craving for more). Have you ever been unable to control how much you drink once you've had a couple?

2>Obsession - The absolute inability to leave liqour alone for good (completely stop) no matter how bad the desire or need.

3>Spiritual malady - A feeling of being separate or unique. This is often described as 'not quite fitting in'. Alcohol solves this problem for a short time (at least it did for me) and worked really well.

When I share - you won't hear very much about what I drank, how often I drank, the stupid things I did while drinking, what time of the day I drank, unless we are speaking one on one. The details of drinking do not make up my alcoholism.