Notices

When is the right time to take the Steps

Old 01-17-2008, 11:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Lightbulb When is the right time to take the Steps

On the third day the lawyer gave his life to the care and direction of his Creator, and said he was perfectly willing to do anything necessary. His wife came, scarcely daring to be hopeful, but she thought she saw something differenct about her husband already. He had begun to have a spiritual experience. Big Book of AA page 158 sentances 7 - 9
Many times we hear people suggest we delay taking the step until we are "ready." We will hear things like: "first year, first step." This advice contradicts the experience of the authors. Here we see that this man took his Third Step on his third day. If we require a Power greater than ourselves to enable us to stay sober, it is best if we immediately set about establishing contact with this Power. The time to begin taking the steps is as soon as our heads clear from our last drunk.

Too many times people think they have to understand the Steps before they take them. My experience has been understanding how they work comes as we experience the miracle of the spiritual experience. If I had waited until I could understand how the steps worked before I took them I would never have gotten or stayed sober. This is a simple program of action. Some of the best advice I was given in this program is keep it simple, don't over think it, it is not an intellectual program, and work the Steps in every aspect of my life. It is through the application of the steps in our lives that we gain an understanding of how they work. Don't wait, jump in with both feet just as we did when we drank it is only then that we can experience the miracle of a happy, joyous, and free sobriety.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Indeed Nandm!!

I have found, the more raw someone is, the more effective the solution will work.

I was raw enough to do pretty much anything I was told or asked to do. That is the only thing that has been different in the last 10 months or so.

I sat on step 3 for 2 years once, just to get drunk again.

This time I have gone through them all in less than a year. Results indeed.

Great post. Thank you.

~A
Old 01-17-2008, 12:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did step 1,2,3 all in the same day. It was after I accepted step 1, I needed step 2 and 3.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

when my sponsee`s pick up their 6 month chip,I hope they are making amends and living staps 10-12...thats what happened to me..I had to get into the solution because I would not have made it a year without any relief.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hmmm...
I did not finish until year 3
and that's when I became joy filled.

Sooo...I too think the quicker the better.
:bounce
Old 01-18-2008, 05:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for the thread nandm. Was wondering this myself. Was hoping there was not a waiting period. The way I see it I waited too long to go to AA to start with.
and that's when I became joy filled.
I'm happy to be sober but I would like some of that joy filled please.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Why not have a retreat with your new man and go through all 12 Steps? We had plenty of time for drinking; why not devote the first weekend to completing all of the Steps? Just a simple idea from your friendly neighborhood Rufus.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for the thread nandm. I plan to do my steps a little faster this time. I relapsed at 100 days and was barely starting step 2. I was poking and trying to get step 1 perfect. I finally have the courage to pick up another white chip at my home group tonight.

Barb