Notices

Easy Does It

Old 01-13-2008, 06:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Easy Does It

"Easy Does It"
Have you just this minute finished reading the previous section, and are you now rushing right into this one? Why? It may be that you need to put into practice the slogan "Easy Does It."

As alcoholics, we often tended to gulp drinks faster than other people did. And we were seldom likely to overlook the last few drops in the cocktail glass, or the last few slugs in the bottle.

Many of us have been amused at our seeming inability, even after many years of sobriety, to walk away from a half-finished cup of coffee or glass of soda. We sometimes find ourselves gulping the last swallow of a nonalcoholic drink, as if...

Perhaps most readers already get the point: It is not always easy for us to put down an unfinished page, chapter, or book we are reading. There seems to be almost a compulsion to go on to the end, instead of taking only a page or a chapter or two a day and leaving the rest for another session. Not that this tendency is altogether bad. In getting over a destructive obsession such as drinking, it's sensible to replace it with a benign one, such as a compulsion to seek more and more knowledge and help for a drinking problem.

Remind yourself once in a while that maybe "Easy Does It" is this day's ideal speed. The change can start right now, remember?
Old 01-13-2008, 07:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Banned Troll

One of the best uses for Easy Does It in my life is to remember the following!

Easy Does It is to quiet the internal demand for instant perfection, whether that demand is about working my Program or being with my family, my work, income or any other area in my life.

So what I do is pray and meditate on a daily basis that way my thought life will be on a higher plane. When things start to look like I'm starting to take over I remind myself who is in change and simply say thy will not mine be done. This way I am less likely to make foolish decisions based on my demand for instant perfection.

Thanks for the Thread Rufus I've read a number of your posts and they have helped me considerably....
Old 01-13-2008, 10:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Thank you Rufus. I needed that reminder today.
Old 01-13-2008, 11:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

nadm
Old 01-15-2008, 05:54 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

"Easy does it" is a real bear for me, that got to do it all NOW, that perfectionism is an ongoing battle for me, I am doing better, but have so far to go. I find life so much easier when I accept that I can not do it perfectly and in many cases I can not do it all, I need to take things at a pace that allow me to live life, otherwise, like alcohol did, other things can take over my life.

I throw complexity into things that are easy, I did that when I was working the steps, my sponsor would always remind me to stop making easy things hard, to only read what was written and not inject stuff between the lines. "Keep it simple". another way of saying "Easy does it"!

I am so thankful it say "Progress, not perfection" or I might still be drunk today!
Old 01-15-2008, 07:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Now, More, When, Why ...LOL