Notices

Tools!

Old 03-16-2007, 04:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Tools!

Hi, my name is Martin and I am an alcohoic.

I shared the following on another forum, as I was typing it my eyes were opening to the tools of the program and figured I would share what I shared here and get you alls thoughts on them, thought it might make a good topic for a thread.

"You remind me of where I was, I remember waking up/coming to in the morning and looking in the mirror and seeing a man that I absolutely hated, he was the last thing I ever wanted to be, he was a damn drunk, his face was swollen, his eyes were so blood shot they looked as if he cried blood would run down his cheek, he was weak, useless and powerless.

In the rooms of AA I found people telling me that they would love me until I learned to love myself!

They were happy, joyous and free! They gave to me freely all the tools they had used to get and stay sober, they gave me freely the love I could not give myself, they gave me the same tools they had used to become happy, joyous and free.

You know all those tools I was given for free from the folks in AA were used and well worn, those tools had been used an awful lot and had been given freely for many years, they were the same tools that Bill W had given freely to Dr. Bob, they were the same tools that Bill W & Doctor Bob gave freely to so many other alcoholics who then passed them freely on down the line of alcoholics in AA.

Well now I have these tools in my hands, and I have found that in order to keep those tools in my hands I have to give them away, what is amazing is the more I give these tools away the more tools I wind up with!"
Old 03-16-2007, 01:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tools...

Big Book, Chapter 4, page 25:

"There is a solution. Almost none of us liked the self- searching, the leveling of our pride, the confession of shortcomings which the process requires for its successful consummation. But we saw that it really worked in others, and we had come to believe in the hopelessness and futility of life as we had been living it. When, therefore, we were approached by those in whom the problem had been solved, there was nothing left for us but to pick up the simple kit of spiritual tools laid at out feet. We have found much of heaven and we have been rocketed into a fourth dimension of existence of which we had not even dreamed.

The great fact is just this, and nothing less: That we have had deep and effective spiritual experiences* which have revolutionized our whole attitude toward life, toward our fellows and toward God's universe. The central fact of our lives today is the absolute certainty that our Creator has entered into our hearts and lives in a way which is indeed miraculous. He has commenced to accomplish those things for us which we could never do by ourselves."

PS...Check out what the "fourth dimension of existence" is on page 8 in Bills Story.