Did I do the right thing??

Old 01-24-2006, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did I do the right thing??

I dont know if I did the right thing. I am an adult child of cocaine addicts, I live on my own and am married. I reported my parents to DHR or DHS today because my 16 year old sister still lives at home and my parents both lost their jobs today because they missed work for the hundrenth time beacuse they got high all night. My step dad will blame me for him loosing his job because my hubby is his boss. But its not my responsiblilty. They have been using for 7+ years and have had to take care of them in one way or the other. Did I do the right thing?
Old 01-24-2006, 02:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not a pro at this but I think if your sister is still in the house absolutely you did the right thing. Even though she is 16 and probably understands fully what is going on that is alot for someone her age to deal with.

You should watch the movie "Gracie's Choice" it's a powerful movie about the oldest daughter who becomes the mother of her younger siblings because their mother is a drug addict.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
He who laughs, lasts.

There comes a time when enough is enough and something has to be done. They will both be dead if it continues.
You know in your heart you did what you believe to be right, so don't start blaming yourself, or falling back into regretting your decision. You took a stand and hopefully, they will both get help. Hugs to you and your sister.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You did what you knew in your heart you had to do. Who cares what everyone else thinks. You did what you thought was best for your sister.

Another great movie!!!!! I love Lifetime! Homeless to Harvard. Its about a young girl with 2 parents who are addicts and her struggles in life.
Old 01-28-2006, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It took courage to do what you did. Your sister is lucky to have you.

Hugs to you both!