A very frustrating morning!

Old 11-19-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A very frustrating morning!

I am 54 and l bought a house with my mom about 6 months ago. The biggest mistake of my life. I did not realize my mom was san alcoholic. She drinks a large bottle of wine every day or a bottle of vodka will last 2 days.
This morning my sister was driving 2 1/2 hrs. to take my mom for a week. My mom must not of wanted to go. All morning I was trying to get my mom packed and ready. She was drinking & wanted to sleep. 10 minutes before my sister arrived I lost it. I took her cigarettes away from her & told her she couldn't smoke until she got dressed. I started yelling at her because I was so frustrated with her. My sister arrived & got her to get dressed.
It is just so frustrating that she would rather drink, smoke & sleep then spend a week with my sister & her 3 children. She complains all the time she is lonely.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Michelle!!

Looking in from outside at another person's addiction can be a very frustrating and lonely place, the person wants to continue to fuel their addiction regardless of what else is going on, but what can seem madness and crazy decision making, does make sense through the lens of alcohol and the eyes of the alcoholic, alcohol is priority number 1 and everything else is down the pecking order, even if indeed they are lonely on the inside, alcohol comes first.

The important thing is to get support for yourself, an alcoholic will never change until they themselves want to change, so that unfortunately may never happen.

You'll find loads of support here on SR and Al-Anon is a great place too for face to face support.

You don't have to be alone in this!!