Cant do this anymore..

Old 04-20-2013, 10:02 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Cant do this anymore..

I opened up to my dad and told him everything about how i feel and how im hurting so badly because of my moms drinking. My mom was listening to the whole entire conversation from her bedroom. she came downstairs and i could hear her crying a bit, she grabbed her purse and car keys and left. my dad asked her where she was going and she just said she needed to get out of here. I was already crying from my conversation with my dad, but i just said its all my fault again isnt it. now im in my bedroom balling my eyes out, i dont know where she is, what shes doing, or if she's hurting herself. i dont know what to do about myself anymore...
Old 04-20-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Oh, dear, Jordyne...it's not your fault. No way, no how, you have nothing to do with how your mother decides to live her life and you can't control how she will react to anything you or anyone else says or does.

Please don't take on adult / parent problems as your own or as if they are your fault. They are not. I know it's hard to really believe that this is the truth, but I promise you with everything in me. None of this is your fault.

Sending many hugs, good thoughts, and prayers for you and your whole family.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Jordyne,

family is family... I think you did the right thing, by sharing with your dad. When did your mum go? Did she go away to think, did she go away to drink away her shame? Did she go away to confide in a friend?

-DavidG. for sharing...
Old 04-20-2013, 08:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Honey this is not your burden. I know how much it hurts, but just let her find her way. She can do it. I'm glad you told them how you feel but don't let it hurt you. Things will work out, and you will be happy. I remember waiting up for my Dad to come home, at bar closing usually, and getting so scared that he wouldn't make it. But he always did.

Are you going to talk to someone at school this week? It's time to take care of you, if she won't.

Remember
You didn't cause it
You can't control it
You can't cure it.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Jordyne, I have struggled with that guilt for years and it is so unfair. It isn't your job to protect your mom from her own actions. It's a parent's job to protect his or her children, not the other way around. Even though it hurt it was probably good for her to hear how her drinking is affecting you. You have done NOTHING wrong. I wish I had something helpful to say but since I still struggle with this myself all I can really say is, you are not alone. Hang in there. I'm glad you can talk to your dad.