ACA or Naranon/Alanon meetings?

Old 03-06-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

ACA or Naranon/Alanon meetings?

Hi there - just looking for advice on whether you all have found ACA meetings or Naranon more helpful. I know that they both work variations of the 12 step program, but they do have very different focuses.

Personally, I have removed myself from the addict in my life (my brother) and my crazy family, though I still see and talk with my family there is much distance. I still carry codependent traits from living with my brother and taking care of him, as well as ACA issues from growing up with his addiction and my dysfunctional family.

Which program have you found is better to work?
Old 03-06-2013, 10:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hmmm... yes- a great topic. I am in Alanon and have been for years. it is a good base for recovery- and Naranon should be the same.

We have one ACA group in the whole country [New Zealand]. I would like to start one up in my community- I am looking out for the next member!

But I do lots and lots of ACA work online and am getting a lot out of it!

My ESH. Take care-

DavidG.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sibling,

I'm not sure it's an either/or. Why don't you try both or all three and see how they fit.

I think the big thing is working the steps and taking action beyond just showing up for meetings.

Best wishes.
Vicki
Old 03-06-2013, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have only visited Alanon meetings, since when I started they didn't really have groups for that. I did read all the books as soon as they came out and was well on my way before that. Can't hurt to try them both out and see what you think.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I do both Al-anon and ACA. ACA shows me _why_ I get the crazy feelings, and how to deal with them. Al-anon shows me _why_ I act on those feelings, and how to stop doing that.

Most of the peeps at my ACA meet go to other programs as well, we have a contingent from AA, a couple from Workaholics Anonymous, several from OA, a couple from Nar-anon, etc.

I think what most people do is find a "recipe" of programs/meetings that works for their particular needs.

Mike
Old 03-06-2013, 09:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I found ACA meetings (when I lived near them) to be very intense and vulnerable, and Alanon to be far less so probably because a number of the members didn't share my ACA issues.

Sometimes less intense is good. And sometimes I miss sitting in a room where everyone gets what I went through as a child, even if the kleenex quotient is extremely high. I will say this about my beloved ACA, I learned to be comfortable crying in front of trusted others.

What Mike said about finding a "recipe" seems to me just right.