Happy Thanksgiving

Old 11-23-2011, 09:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving

Just in case I don't get back here I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving. As we all go off to our celebrations, some with our families of origin, or fragments of foo, our nuclear families, friends, or even alone it can be a hard day that can make us crazy. Take heart and be thankful for the smallest things.

I am thankful I finally found this forum. It has made some things crystal clear for me. It helps so much to know there are others that understand my crazy life. I used to get such a kick out of Phil Hartman on "News Radio" when he reminisced about his foo telling outlandish stories that paralleled mine to his co workers who stood there wide eyed. He always ended with "...ahhh, good times, good times." I've kind of sarcastically adopted that for me. But this is one place where no one will be dumbstruck by the stories I tell, and likewise I won't be shocked by what I read here either. It's good to be here with like-minded people.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Please take care everyone and be safe if you are traveling.

I want to thank all of you for being there for me.

God bless you all.

Bill
Old 11-23-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving to all my friends here. Holidays can be extremely tough, but keeping all of you in my prayers.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-24-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dbh

I too wanted to wish all of my SR friends a Happy Thanksgiving.

I'm thankful that I have a place to share and am also grateful for all the honest experience, strength, and hope that I have received here.

I'm honored to be walking this path with all of you.

Wishing everyone peace & serenity today and always!

db
Old 11-24-2011, 01:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Happy Turkey day to all of us !!! I think holidays are the most important time of year for us ACoA's, because we get to make our own memories of _good_ holidays any way we want them to be.

Me? I'm making decorations for my very own Xmas tree, and there are no drunks in this home who might fall into it !!!!

Mike
Old 11-24-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Happy Thanksgiving!!! Bozley and I are going to share a pizza...well...he'll get some crust.
I am thankful for everyone here on SR.

(((HUGS)))
Old 11-25-2011, 05:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm thankful that Thanksgiving (first without my dad around) didn't send me into a tailspin. I'm thankful that my mom is far enough along in her dementia that my dad calling her in the morning from jail to wish us all a happy thanksgiving didn't send HER into a tailspin.

In this economy? I'm thankful I have a roof over my head, food to eat, a job with more job security than a person could hope for. I'm thankful that the fan died in my furnace last weekend so that we saw the crack in the heat exchanger before everyone in my house died from carbon monoxide poisoning (even in the "bad" things, there can be good).

I'm thankful for this forum and for the people I've met on it. I'm thankful I have friends who have gone through their own difficult times so that I can talk to people in person and not have them look at me with that blank stare.

I'm thankful that I figured out how to live (relatively) healthy *before* I married anyone. I'm thankful that, for whatever reason, something in my head clicked and I was able to realize that I didn't want to live that way AND I was able to do something about it (as opposed to those who say "good enough fer mah daddy, good enough fer me").

Looking at the bigger world, I'm thankful for potable water plumbed right into my house. I'm thankful I don't have to raise my own food. I'm thankful that I live in a society where women are not considered property and can support themselves fully and have the same legal rights as men.

There is a lot to be thankful for in life. However, there is a fallacy that many people fall into of saying "Well so-and-so has it worse than I do, I shouldn't complain." So while we can list things we're thankful for, I caution against using those things to downplay the struggles we have. Just because someone else is hurting does not mean we are not also hurting. Some hurts are more visible than others.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you Ginger M for saying that - one of my mother's sayings to downplay our dysfunction was to say "there's so many people who have it worse than you do. Get over it." and my brother said about NA/addiction "I don't need to go because. those are people who have got real problems." Just because others are in a bad situation does not mean we also are not.

As I still struggle daily with losing the love of my life because of the ACA and codependency issues that I had/have, I am grateful that I am in the process of recovery. I am grateful that I have the chance to change these issues and address them early in life. While I hope everyday that I'll get another chance with him, I am thankful he left me - otherwise I may have never realized I have a problem. I'm also thankful that my brother stayed sober this thanksgiving.