Almost Funny

Old 01-09-2010, 04:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Location: Pennsylvania. It's like Transylvania without the good times.
Almost Funny

I got a call yesterday morning from my mother telling me that my dad is in jail. Apparently he tried to steal a 40 inch plasma tv from behind one of the stores on main street.

From what I heard he put it in a shopping cart from another store down the street (which he also stole) and wheeled it through the snow. Nobody knows where he was going with it, but he obviously wasn't supposed to have it so they arrested him.

This store is 3 blocks away from the police station. Yeah.

Now I don't know for a fact he was high, but I've got a pretty good idea that he was.

After I got over being angry, which didn't take long surprisingly, I could not stop laughing. I still can't. This can't be a normal reaction. I just keep imagining that movie Barber Shop with those two incompetent thieves who stole an ATM machine. And then they spend most of the movie wheeling it around town on a dolly with a blanket covering it.

Except my dad wasn't even smart to get a blanket. How sick am I that I find this this funny?

Has anyting similar happened to anyone else?
Old 01-10-2010, 03:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That ain't "almost" anything -- that's some kinda funny!

T
Old 01-10-2010, 07:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Rianestorm,

Don't quite know how to describe it, but yes I can relate. Maybe the frustrated/tired or hearing it button in your brain has been temporarily disabled. For myself it's hit or miss whether I'll laugh or whether I engage and get upset about it. Only my sister and I "get it" (and share a laugh) when we hear about our AF up to something that no sane, rational would even think to do.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This can't be a normal reaction.
If you read about this in a newspaper or saw a video clip of it on tv, would you laugh? I think it's a very normal reaction. He did something so completely ludicrous that it's funny.

It's also normal that you would first have to get over your anger that it was your father who did this.

Try to be careful about questioning your emotions - that can lead to all new shades of crazy. You have emotions. Period.

(And yes, I laugh at some of the things my father does as well. It helps take the sting out of the hurt that is simultaneously present).
Old 01-10-2010, 08:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sometimes you just have to laugh to keep from crying....

But yeah, it sounds funny to me as well................. go figure...
Old 01-17-2010, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nocoincidence56 View Post
Sometimes you just have to laugh to keep from crying....

But yeah, it sounds funny to me as well................. go figure...
I so get where you are at Rianestorm, it's my life. And I like to take the above and live with it. Some have said it's not so healty (I sometimes take it to the extreme), but if you can't laught you cry. Humor can be a great defense mechanism. It's not like you can change your dad's behavior, right?

My mom seperated from my dad, after years of my trying to explain to my husband his issues and my husband thinking we were all just being bitches. Within 12 hours my dad was in jail. My husband finally got it a bit. And then other things happened, including him (my dad) almost dying. I laughed, and then melted down - that was where it became unhealthy for me. Everyone reached out at once and I was cracking jokes which disturbed them. Then I melted down and think God for my hubby, who held me through the storm.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AKA 'grewupinabarn'

I sometimes think that laughter is evidence that we are capable of detaching with love. A situation like your dad's would lack much of its deep irony if it did not involve someone who we would like to see better.

I remember watching many a time when my very drunk dad would make, or attempt the making of, a late nite sandwich.
It always ended up as a hideous composite with ingredients like ice cream, raw meat, frozen vegetables, and very old leftovers.

Even the dog, often called in to attend to spilt food, refused to eat it.
I think the vodka/bourbon/whiskey in his stomach killed off any bacteria.

It......was....hilarious.

Apologies to any who just ate!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep. Sure did have a similiar experience. And yes it's funny. My ABF went into a grocery store on a dare. Both wheelman and ABF are high. The unlicensed felonious wheel man is in ABF's car, idling at the curb. My ABF, 6'4" and 250+ in a football jersey went meat shopping. Pushed the cart to the check out, bagged the meat, walked out the front door calmly to his car driven by wheelman. Employee gets the jersey info, license plate, and description. The sheriff shows up at the door with a warrant. ABF answers the door wearing the jersey. The license plate registration... yeah that helped too. Poof!