Hearing my name

Old 09-05-2008, 06:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Hearing my name

Hearing my name too much in one day can really get on my nerves. I feel like this is a acoa issue. When I was a child I hated my name. I liked getting nicknamed.

Yesterday when I went to work everyone shouted out my name when I came in the door. I felt kinda like Norm on "Cheers" anyway I had not been in in a couple of days and I suppose everyone was glad to see me but I heard my name all day long and it was really starting to get on my nerves. I know they really like me at work and they miss me when I am not there. They all want my attention I know this.... but still I hate hearing my name so much.

I hate when I get a sales pitch and the person says my name over and over it is a guarantee that I will not buy whatever they are trying to sell.

I feel like my name is mud sometimes because of some recent issues with credit and identity theft. It is really hard for me to deal with.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I still cringe sometimes when I hear my name....
Old 09-05-2008, 12:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

me too. i always like a nickname. maybe we have some self-loathing in common???
KJ
Old 09-05-2008, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I never heard my name at home unless I'd done something "wrong" and someone wanted to suck me into the alcoholic drama.

So I cringe too, Peter.

It's taken me years to really internalize this, and to work to fix it....sigh...
Old 09-05-2008, 03:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I am sure my name was used to call me into some kind of drama or to tell me what I did wrong too. I am sure it is about self loathing too and I am working on it too double heavy sigh***
Old 09-05-2008, 03:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

This is interesting.... I'm not sure I cringe at hearing my name -- but I certainly hate it when my phone rings. That's because it's often my Dad (who has come back into my life at an advanced age, and long after I thought I'd worked out most of the issues, it's apparent that I haven't)... and I usually don't want to talk to him. "The dreaded buzz," I call it, when the phone goes off. Of course, there is no law that says I have to answer it, and oftentimes, I don't. (Disclosure: if this sounds familiar, it's because I joined under a different name not long ago, and posted a couple of messages in recent threads... and then read the FAQ where it suggests, "Sign up with a username that you don't use anywhere else." I thought about it and decided that was a good idea, so I re-registered with this name, which I'm going to keep!)
Old 09-05-2008, 03:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You know you can change your name
Old 09-05-2008, 05:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Would that help, changing our names, do you think?
KJ
Old 09-06-2008, 06:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've debated changing my name, but for me the cringing comes from the tone of voice, not the name itself.

I find I'm lifted up when I hear people call my name in a cheery or happy tone, or even a tone which suggests they need my help. But when anything vaguely resembling drama is in the tone, I cringe mightily.

I have also debated changing my last name as a 'display' of my casting out of old family patterns. But there are people in my family I loved (who are now deceased) and the family has a long history. It's hard to give up that uniqueness.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tone never made a difference to me. Very often when I hear my name it means somebody wants something and I still have trouble saying no....
Old 09-06-2008, 08:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah, I hate my name, even when it's screamed out in ecstasy..lol...and it's a garden-variety name...that's why I go by KJ...even in real life. Sorry that was TMI, wasn't it?
KJ
Old 09-06-2008, 11:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I despise hearing my name...it never occurred to me that it could be related to being acoa.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeah. I dunno. I think I'd rather keep my name and get the help I need to realize that not everyone who says my name is trying to hurt me. I don't want to be the victim of my past any more. I don't want the "wake to drive the boat" any more.

I'm already lots better than I used to be......step by step.....
Old 09-07-2008, 08:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Tone never made a difference to me. Very often when I hear my name it means somebody wants something and I still have trouble saying no....
I feel the same however tone can get on my nerves too.

What has helped me a lot to get over it is to do mirror work with myself. I am not near as bad as I used to be.

The other day was really more of an exception than the rule but it was because 12 different people were saying my name a lot all day long. I know they were glad to see me and I do need to be tolerant of that.

I don't feel that changing my name is a good solution for me. Dealing with the issue is a much better idea for me. Even if I did change my name the issue would still be there.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When I was in grammar school I would look up names in the phone book and start writing them down in my school papers. That was my way of trying to make real my fantasy that I was adopted and that my "real" family would rescue me someday. Made my poor teachers crazy. * lol *

I never wanted to be who I was, and the name was just a part of that issue. For me it's because I believed and internalized all the ****** my parents brainwashed into me. As I got my "feces amalgamated" thru therapy and 12 step work I started replacing those old brainwashings with healthy beliefs. Today I am proud of what I have acomplished in life, proud that I am _not_ like my parents, I like the "me" that I have built over the years and I actually like my name.

I looked it up. (ain't the web a wonderful thing? ) turns out "Mike" comes from an ancient word for "angel". A being that is similar to God. I think that's kinda cool.

Mike
Old 09-09-2008, 07:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I don't have a problem hearing my own name. What really sets me off is when complete strangers call me 'Sweetie' or 'Hon'. How do they know if I'm a sweet person?
Old 09-10-2008, 12:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I used to wish i was somebody else when i was a kid. I hated my life. I hated my name, how i looked, the sound of my own voice and the clothes I was forced to wear.

I used to envy my friends and neighbours. They had lives. I wanted to be them.

As a child I fantasized so hard that i was the Lone Ranger or Kato in the Green Hornet. I almost started to believe it. LOL.

I got in trouble for telling kids at my new school that my real name was Stephen.

I wouldn't want to live my childhood over.