Choice of meetings

Old 06-14-2003, 01:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Choice of meetings

Hello,

I just posted in the AA and they sent me over here

I am in AA myself but a friend who has gone into a recovery clinic for codependancy(no substance abuse) has asked to help find a Coda meeting in our area. Trouble is there doesn't seem to be any.I cannot bring the person along to a AA/NA meeting-it might upset them.

I have searched the Web-looked at the Coda site. As a suggestion, is AlAnon okay or does that mean I'm implying or something?Help!I don't want to let this person down.

Thanks,

Tiger
Old 06-14-2003, 08:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Tigergirl.

I found the official site for Coda. I hope that helps. Coda can be a bit harder to find...she has no abuse in her family or a loved one?
If she does than Alanon is a great alternative. She could attend anyway because as we all know the program is about us. But feeling comfortable is also important.

Hope this helps,
JT
www.codependents.org
Old 06-15-2003, 12:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks

I did actually go onto the Coda site and looked up but no meeting in my area.
I was wondering how to explain this to her so that she understands that there is no insinuation or misunderstanding if I suggest AL-Anon?
I've been burned on this before-people are sensitive on this and it has backfired terrribly. I walk on eggs trying to explain.my sponsor did say that most people do not understnad or want to deal with the honesty the program can bring up. But this person did ask me.

Any suggestions on what to say or do?

Thanks, JT
Old 06-15-2003, 06:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

I have had this backfire too. Maybe tell he what you found regarding Coda and see what she says...follow her lead? If she went into treatment for codependency shouldn't they have suggestions on the next step? You could mention people you know who have peace and found it alanon. It is funny you say no substance abuse. I was codependent my whole life...but it took an addict (my son) to trigger the worst in me. Are there other issues that could fit in another venue? PTSD? Depression? Adult Child Syndrome?

Hugs,
JT
Old 06-15-2003, 06:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Maybe you could suggest that she read some books about codependency... like Melanie Beattie's "Codependent no more" so she gets a basic understanding of what codependency is and is familiar with the steps and the fact that they are universal to a lot of programs for codies. At the top of the Alanon forum there's a post that says "power posts"... it's a collection of posts we thought were good for newcomers to read. Included on that power post is a link to a thread called "Bookclub". That's a list of reading suggested by our various members.

Hugs!
Smoke