Wish I would found this forum

Old 10-12-2007, 12:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wish I would found this forum

I wish I would have found this forum months ago even years ago.. I grew up with a step-father who is an alcoholic.. A few months ago his drinking began to get worse. He just retired active duty Military which is why we kinda figured things had gotten so bad with the amount he was drinking. It got to the point that he was drinking a case and a half of beer everyother day.. Then spending the whole next day in bed because he was so hung over. The there were the problems with the anti-depressent the doctor perscribed for his PTSD. Which we knew your not supposed to drink and take anti-depressents at the same time.. Well he did.. The ones he was taking was making him very angry, irretable and hostle towards My mom, Brother and myself. IT was just how scary he had become. One day after a lot of confict a few days before. I walked in to the living room.. He tapped me on my shoulder, I turned around and there was a loaded gun in my face. It was 11 in the morning and he was like 4 sheets to the wind.. Then a few nights later after picking a fight with my mom he went into our computer room and Threw the Monitor at the wall.. I was working Graveyard and was actually scared to come home in the morning in fear of what I might find.

He always had a problem.. His problem then led to my problem.. He was the first person I had a drink with.. He taught me that drinking was the way to deal with things and that if there was a problem where it looks bad sober when your drunk its not so bad. I have relationship and trust problems because of him.I have lost all respect for him now after this past year.. We offered to get him help he wouldn't take it.. Got his friends involved he lied to them said we were making it up.. One friend called his commander up on Base they did nothing..

But it would have been nice to have found this place when it was really bad.. My mom and him have decided to split up about a week ago.. He came out to her as Bisexual and well after all we have gone through for the past 24 years I just am now feeling cheated.. Its like we can put up with the drinking and emotional abuse but not him being Bi. I don't know.. I guess I am jsut glad I found this place... So maybe I can find the courage to help my self.. to deal with my problems with alcohol and face all the problems its has cause me and the bad things I have done while drinking...
Old 10-12-2007, 06:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey there Nikki

I'm glad you did find us. I was raised by alcoholics, and wound up having problems with alcohol. It's pretty common, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by nikki8120118 View Post
... So maybe I can find the courage to help my self.. to deal with my problems with alcohol and face all the problems its has cause me and the bad things I have done while drinking...
I think you just did, by coming to this website and posting. Are you ready to take the next step? The one your father has not done yet? It's an easy one, I did it and it worked great for me. Grab your phone, dial 411 and ask for the office of Alcoholics Anonymous. Talk to those people and see what they have to say.

Mike
Old 10-12-2007, 09:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Wow (((((((niki)))))))) I am so proud of you for stepping up to the plate and getting the help you need to begin loving you!!!!

I too grew up with Alcoholic parents and siblings but I escaped the trap of alcohol and drugs.... Thank HP!! (higher power).. I have no relationship with anyone in my family now there to sick.. My mother died 7 years ago from this horrible disease!! I completely understand where you are coming from...

You are a Wonderful Person and you deserve Love and happiness!!

Hang in there and keep coming back!!:ghug2

((((((((hugs)))))))))

onelove