confused

Old 05-25-2003, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

confused

Today my parents are having my girls and I over for a BBQ. My husband is out fishing and probably wont make it in time. That's OK because I would like to spend some time with my parents.
The big problem is that Mom is an alcoholic and is still drinking. Fortunately, my husband is in recovery (over 60 days now and doing great).

My parents both know about my husband and are very supportive. THey love him like he is one of their own. Well, since my husband has been in recovery my mother refrains from drinking around him. She 'hides' her drinks and therefore doesn't drink as much as usual when we are there.

Today, my husband probably won't be there so mom will be drinking. I feel like a hypocrite but mom has already told me the menu: burgers, salad, potatoes and wine.
I feel guilty about the thought of having a glass of wine, even when my husband isn't going to be there. I wish she wouldn't drink. I am glad my husband is not drinking (fortunately my father stopped drinking years ago).

I have been reading some books about 'Adult Children'. I now realize why I handle some things the way I do.

I could go on and on but have to go to the BBQ.

NoDoubt
Old 05-25-2003, 09:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Darn!

I had a BBQ of my own going today and I missed this!

You know that you can choose what you want to do. If you have a glass of wine that is fine or ask for water. Your choice.

The important thing is YOU!

How did it go?

Hugs,
JT
Old 05-26-2003, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks JT
I went. Of course mom already had a few glasses of wine and offered me one as soon as I got there. I told her 'maybe later'. I did have a glass with dinner, but got it myself and refused a refill.

The problem is that when she drinks she is soooo dopey!!!! Can't even figure out how to preheat the oven. I get pissy with her and with my father as well, for putting up with her.

But, I calmed down and made the best of it.

Well, next time will be better because my hubby will be there and she will not want to drink around him.

NoDoubt