How Did you Find a Therapist

Old 09-01-2006, 06:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How Did you Find a Therapist

Hi All,

I've been reading past posts (and Tramps today on another forum) and it seems obvious that I need to find a therapist, again. ::sigh::

How did you go about finding one who understood ACOA?

I'm sure I have trust issues, but I've never called any kind of self employed professional and said, "Do you.....?", without having them reply, "Oh yes,"

Thanks in advance,

Easeful
Old 09-01-2006, 01:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I find 'em by referal. I go to a bunch of f2f meets in my part of town, or close to work so I don't have to drive too far outta the way, and I share that I'm looking for a good doc and would appreciate if anybody would give me the name of a good one. About half the people in any meet will give me the card of their therapist.

Mike
Old 09-04-2006, 05:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Mike, I've never tried that but it makes sense. Unfortunately, we've moved now and there are only 2 meetings anywhere in the area are both over 45 minutes away. Of course it's very likely that will be the closest I can find a therapist anyway, so it may be the best solution.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recovering perpetual kid...

Do you have health insurance? If so does it cover therapy? If so, contact your insurance companies Member Advocate, they have a listing of therapists. Many therapists work in the area oc ACOA, I'm fortunate that I found a therapist and psychiatrist in the same office that deal with Dual Diagnosis and ACOA/AA/NA... Good luck.

Hang loose, Doc.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Many states also will have a website of their licensed psychologists. Often those sites will either have a referral number, where you can give the information of what you're looking for, and they'll give you a name (or several). Then start calling.

Also, contacting the state or county mental health departments will often give you a place to start looking. I've found once I could get one single therapist to return my call, they start leading me to the right person for what I'm looking for. The hard part is always finding that first person who is vaguely related to the kind of therapy you seek.

I see a cognitive behavioral therapist. I'd been seeing him for a while, working on various aspects of being an AC, before I found this site. When I found this site, I printed out the 12 common traits of ACoAs and took it to him. I told him it was a menu of things I'd like to work on, and to pick any ol' one he wanted. He's very good and has helped me through some really sticky parts of dealing with my parents. He's given me the tools to stay detached enough that I don't get sucked in anymore.

Maybe you won't find an ACoA therapist, but maybe you'll find a *good* therapist and you can take him the 'menu' and get started.

Obviously, this is my story. Your mileage may vary.