Searching for Angela Shelton

Old 08-16-2006, 09:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
In Recovery

Question Searching for Angela Shelton

Hi.

I happened upon this website, while reading a local news story via the internet.

http://searchingforangelashelton.com/link.html

It is about a woman who went out searching for other women with her name in the United States, and she discovered a disturbing pattern of abuse, rape, and molestation in this group of women...things she also endured.

I teared up a few times while reading about the movie, and the other information on the site. I wanted to pass it on for anyone who hasn't heard of it yet.

It sounds like a great movie. Has anyone seen it?

She also has a Safety DVD/VHS out for children, in collaboration with the Baby Einstein producer, Julie Clark (I have about 5 of those...and can count in Japanese, sometimes) and John Walsh of America's Most Wanted fame.

Has anyone seen either of these? If so, what do you think?

Thanks!
Kari
Old 08-16-2006, 09:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
In Recovery

Oh Oops. I forget. The name of her kids' movie is "Safe Side Superchick" or something like that?

(reminds me of the Kelly Clarkson song)
Old 08-17-2006, 11:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The movie was amazing. It was odd to realize that so many people named Angela Shelton have been raped/assaulted. The confrontation with her father was really hard to watch, he is in so much denial. She's an amazing person and the movie is really powerful if you can handle it.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I saw it and it was disturbing to realise how many women and girls are sexually assulted in this country. It was meant to be a silly documentary about a girl who was curious about the lives of other women with her name. It I frightening as a mother of a little girl to realise that at least 1 in 4 women and girls are raped, how do you protect them?
Old 08-29-2006, 10:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
In Recovery

Education
Educate the boys, too

www.endabuse.org
www.whiteribbon.ca
www.heart-2-heart.ca
www.gsusa.org

There must be some others, too.

A few Martial arts classes probably wouldn't hurt.

Develop in yourself and them (both boys and girls) a healthy sense of self-respect.

Help them to develop who they are as people (as opposed to what some parents do...try to force the children to be something they just aren't/can't be/don't want to be).

Girls and Boys who have a positive role model (or more), will have a healthier sense of what is okay and what is not okay in a relationship, and will not be attracted to sick abusive men or women as adults.

That's All I know...