An unexpected bonus..

Old 07-14-2017, 02:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

An unexpected bonus..

Ten years ago, still in my drinking day, like all those who hit sixty in the UK I was afforded the opportunity for a free 'bus pass to be issued provided I confirmed my details and provided a current photo of myself.

I duly complied and after receiving it promptly, the way 'alkies' do,tucked it in my wallet. Just to take up space, I'd no money, ok! This was in my drinking days, and forgot about it....

Recently, now seventy, I was, by way of renewing it, asked to confirm that and in doing so,unless there was any noticeable change in my appearance, the issuing authority would use the same photo. No problem, least of all as I'd rarely, if ever used it.

Today I received m new 'bus pass, good for another ten year, well I live in hope, period. Together with a book I'd ordered, 'What's so funny about growing old?'which points out that one of the bonuses, there are many, trust me, of aging is that you change your perspective on life, including developing a great sense of humour.

On examination of the said 'bus pass, the most striking thing is the difference, then whilst still drinking days, my appearance, after nine years sobriety has changed along with the thickness of my wallet. Whilst I'm prepared to let others be the judge, I look younger now than I did then!

Providing an unexpected bonus and lifting my day! proof, if proof were needed of the benefits of recovery...

I wonder if anyone else has a similar 'then and now' experience?
Old 07-14-2017, 02:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Physical does not really count in my unusual case- as my after is worse.
After- cognition..I have never achieved so much..I squeeze every drop of use out of my once pickled lobes. Marcus would approve!