What's your choice?

Old 05-07-2017, 12:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Redmayne

What's your choice?

Apart from the obvious benefits to me of my recovery followed by prolonged sobriety , like health, finances etc. It seems to me that whereas in my 'drinking days' alcohol,even as 'high functioning alcoholic' ruled my life leaving little room for choice in anything...

Even in the early days of recovery Ib still felt at times I was just 'treading water' and nothing, other than my no drinking had changed. I don't think I realised then the full depth and meaning of 'The Serenity Prayer'. Which is not just about change but choice over the changes I wanted to bring into my life...

Perhaps it was that In felt an apt description of my life was to be found in the second part of the title of Sokon# Morinaga's book ,'Novice to Master - An Ongoing Lesson in the Extent of My Own Stupidity'... which in turn reflects my initial interest, in recovery of Buddhist philosophy.

I hardly then expected to see myself as I do now, as a self directed student of the practices and principles of both Stoic and Buddhist philosophy. The two compliment each other... the former initially attracted me to it because, in its wording it has strong links to 'The Serenity Prayer' both because they are ,'the science of the mind' see the Dalai Lama and we're dealing with a 'mental obsession' here right...

Now I accept all the tenets of the AA maxim,'Live and let live!'and that these may not be everyone's 'cup of tea' , which made me, with my 'keen, enquiring alcoholic mind.'

What's your choice?
Old 05-11-2017, 07:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

My choices began when I started to walk the Broad Highway with others like myself having no idea where it would lead. At times I would go round and round in circles - but still somehow continued on the Highway.

I choose a path which ironically becomes more narrow, for which I am today grateful. I read of Yogananda and the great Mystics. I meditate on the prayer of St Francis which holds many truths - a lifetime of truths. I love - cheer and cry, sometimes all at once. I start to balk at things that use to draw me near. My mantra is ubitquitous in all phases of my existence - even in sleep. The noise goes away.

I choose to accept hardships as the pathway to peace - reasonably happy today.

I am awake
Old 05-13-2017, 10:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Love this....

Love this because it, in recovery it reflects my own journey into sobriety with its underlying emphasis on my full recognition and acceptance that I suffer from alcohol-ISM.

The alcohol being but a symptom, the -ISM's being those 'little arrows' that fly through the air and hit people at random, the 'bus is late, the washing machine breaks down, an unexpected bill etc., etc.

Problem is in my drinking days I thought all these 'little arrows; were aimed at me and I often used them as an excuse for drinking!!!

In recovery I learned, initially how to deal with these in a calm, rational manner. Once I did this, in an attempt to make spiritual progress I to began to narrow my choice as to how and what guiding practices and principles, whilst still adhering to my fundamental Christian beliefs particularly in 'the God of my understanding' would strengthen and guide my life as a sober recovering alcoholic.

Here I am well over nine years later still not only doing it but enhancing it every day by, when the opportunity arises sharing my experience, strength and hope to help others, including myself to recover.