Anyone used acamprosate before?

Old 11-11-2016, 03:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone used acamprosate before?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this but I was just given acamprosate today. The way the doctor explained it was, it would stop the high I get from alcohol consumption, thus stopping the need to use alcohol to deal with depression. Has anyone else used it here and what was the experience like?
Old 11-11-2016, 03:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's known as Campral in other places. I have no experience of it tho.

D
Old 11-11-2016, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep. I am going on 9 mos sober and I take it 3x daily as part of my psych-prescribed medicine regimen. We have me on it as an anti-craving med, and it is a maintenance drug for me. I have had zero physical cravings; I was extremely ill when I quit drinking in Feb and at the beginning, just trying to come back to life as I describe it. Note- I take the generic, acamprosate; I refer to it as Campral and consider them interchangeable but my experience is technically on the generic.

I do not know if my possibly rare experience with cravings is largely due to Campral and I don't care. If I need to take it forever, ok by me. This is a drug that in my understanding does not have (serious) side effects and I haven't experienced any I can attribute directly to it, only perhaps the positive sides; note, again, this is just one drug I take.

I have taken it since I quit drinking, and I also took Antabuse for the first 90 days. That is a more serious drug, as I would describe it, as there is potentially fatal effects if you mess around with the daily prescribed dose. It is a drug meant to prevent you from drinking in the first place, because you will get sick if you do, possibly violently. I toyed with it in the past as some people do (many alcoholics do) by skipping doses, even taking it while drinking etc; I was lucky not to face more than moderate seizures and cramping one time.

I would be a "success story" for Campral.

Close communication- honest communication!- with your dr is key to determine if this or other meds are best for you. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2016, 04:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It's known as Campral in other places. I have no experience of it tho.

D
Thanks, I've been trying to find out whatever else name it could be called.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's been working really well for me too. Some cravings are still there but last two weeks I've been taking it there's been a huge reduction in the amount I drink. It's almost like a miracle drug for me, without any side effects. I still need to work on some of the old habits but from drinking 500-700 ml of scotch a night, I'm down to drinking 250 ml once a week. Since I've started taking it two weeks ago I drank twice, down from everyday. I think more people should know of this medicine.

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Yep. I am going on 9 mos sober and I take it 3x daily as part of my psych-prescribed medicine regimen. We have me on it as an anti-craving med, and it is a maintenance drug for me. I have had zero physical cravings; I was extremely ill when I quit drinking in Feb and at the beginning, just trying to come back to life as I describe it. Note- I take the generic, acamprosate; I refer to it as Campral and consider them interchangeable but my experience is technically on the generic.

I do not know if my possibly rare experience with cravings is largely due to Campral and I don't care. If I need to take it forever, ok by me. This is a drug that in my understanding does not have (serious) side effects and I haven't experienced any I can attribute directly to it, only perhaps the positive sides; note, again, this is just one drug I take.

I have taken it since I quit drinking, and I also took Antabuse for the first 90 days. That is a more serious drug, as I would describe it, as there is potentially fatal effects if you mess around with the daily prescribed dose. It is a drug meant to prevent you from drinking in the first place, because you will get sick if you do, possibly violently. I toyed with it in the past as some people do (many alcoholics do) by skipping doses, even taking it while drinking etc; I was lucky not to face more than moderate seizures and cramping one time.

I would be a "success story" for Campral.

Close communication- honest communication!- with your dr is key to determine if this or other meds are best for you. Good luck.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
G-Woman

I've been taking Campral for about a month now with amazing results. Zero cravings, no real desire to drink. I was a chronic relapser, and it felt almost impossible to me to resist the overwhelming urges when they hit. Now I feel like I can make a rational decision NOT to drink.

The only thing wrong with it is that I wish I had been prescribed it a long time ago.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Zoso - out of curiosity, are you planning to quit drinking or just try to moderate?
Old 01-18-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I quit drinking about two weeks ago, using Campral (though the generic version) and some seizure medication (to prevent seizures). No tapering at all and was drinking about a fifth a day (whisky and beer). Although I would say consult with a licensed medical doctor regarding questions like this, I can say that I believe the Campral reduces cravings. Could be the placebo effect, but I don't think so. GL with whatever you choose.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Meow

I've been on it for a week and finding it very helpful so far.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi ZOSO I am Sober now 44 days, on Campral 1 week now and find it helps. I am using it as an extra tool along with SR, eating good and walking. I was on it last year but ran out as it is expensive and I relapsed. I find also that it helps me immensely with PAW symptoms. Its supposed to help the brain wires reconnect and I really think it does as I recover quicker when on campral. Good luck on your journey.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoso View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this but I was just given acamprosate today. The way the doctor explained it was, it would stop the high I get from alcohol consumption, thus stopping the need to use alcohol to deal with depression. Has anyone else used it here and what was the experience like?
I'm on acamprosate (campral).
When ever I get real hot and desire alcohol I take 2. Prescribed to take 6 a day but I'm not very good with taking pills consistently.
But at least its something.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Aquafina, yes I understand you. Sometimes I forget if I have taken my full daily dose or not and miss out but wait till the next dose if in doubt, cravings seem to have subsided somewhat these days at 65 days clean but still have on and off brain fog, slightly better sleep, slightly better co-ordination with my gait as was a bit bumpy, the memory is getting bit better too I think lol. Finding it hard to exercise as fatigued on and off, eating better also.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

65 days clean! I almost fell out of my chair.
Old 03-19-2017, 02:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I asked a friend about this and said Campral works great if you don't drink.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Beware Campral has rare side effects for some

I was prescribed Campral to stop smoking while I was still drinking and the result was suicidal ideation followed by an actual suicide attempt. This stuff messes with your brain pathways so if you can conquer your cravings without chemical interference I heartily encourage you to do so.
Old 08-14-2017, 05:37 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Loving Sobriety

I was prescribed Naltrexon and it has been a huge help. I still get cravings from time to time... Mostly weekends but I'm holding on!