Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > All About Recovery > What is Recovery?
Reload this Page >

Medication for alcohol detox? What are your thoughts?

Old 08-13-2017, 08:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Driver8

A friend of mine reached out to me asking for advice. He just quit drinking and is having a really rough time. During our conversation he gave me the laundry list of meds that his doctors have him on to help the detox process( including antidepressants and benzos). Apparently he went to the hospital because he thought he was having a stroke. I know this does happen, it can kill you.
My advice to him was once this round of meds is complete he should remove all the chemicals from his body and get on a good diet and vitamin regime. That's what I did and it has worked wonders.
I'm just curious how all of you feel about this topic and I'd love to pass on any advice you have. - Thank you
Old 08-14-2017, 01:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I searched around for a Dr who I trusted and with whom I was honest about my past..

I didn't have meds for detox but I am on long term meds for my quality of life.

If you can do without medication thats fantastic - more power to you...but I can't.

Not all drugs are 'bad' and not all drugs are 'good'.

No offense, but I'd tell your friend to get a second opinion from a qualified doctor.
Old 08-14-2017, 01:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Either consult your primary care provider or visit your local ER
Old 08-14-2017, 03:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like he needs a good dr, and as a friend, someone who doesn't advise but shares his/her actual experience (only).

I started meds at the beginning of my sobriety and some have been adjusted/added/deleted from my regimen since.

As Dee said, a good dr and being honest with that dr is critical and continues to be an important part of my routine here at almost 18mo. I continue to take a benzo (ativan) as needed, and under review by my psych every two months-three months we meet.

For me, exercise and good nutrition, and SLEEP, come after meds/AA/God. I need the whole monty- or, in other words, the package I have is working so I keep on going strong with all my "tools" for a good, sober life.

Take care of yourself- hope your friend finds the best path for himself.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

August hit on the big one....SLEEP/rest.....substance abuse is more tiring than we know. When it was pointed out to me to factor in not only the time using, but the time/energy spent on planning and acquiring and setting aside duties and time for using, it was staggering. Nutrition and hydration are key as well, and even moderate exercise is more than what we did in addiction.

Good thoughts.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

For me, a benzo taper in an inpatient setting, was essential to get me through the first two weeks or so of withdrawal, but I stopped after that. Benzos are great in the short term, but can be fiercely addictive and the withdrawal, even as prescribed, can be worse than alcohol, and just as dangerous. I'm trying to deal with the anxiety with non-chemical means. This is just my own take for myself, different people need different medications.

Not all medications are the same, particularly if there is an underlying mental health issue. There is a huge comorbidity with addiction and anxiety, depression, and bipolar disorder. Looking back, I went off all psych meds about 10 years ago, about the same time that my drinking began to escalate, probably in attempt to self medicate. Bipolar disorder in particular requires lifelong medication, it's nearly impossible to treat without medication, and the response to mood stabilizers is often dramatic and long term. Good diet and nutrition and exercise is never a bad idea, but is not enough for some people, myself included.

I will second the advice above that a doctor should be the person to manage medications, preferably a psychiatrist who has specialized training in addiction and mental health issues. If your friend only has a GP, he can ask for a referral for a psych consultation.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Redmayne

Perhaps it's also well to remember...

Reflecting on my own recovery in the immediate aftermath of stopping drinking I denied myself nothing other than alcohol and existed on sleep, sweetened soya milk, light meals eaten regularly and cigarettes...although I no longer smoke them, although I do smoke a pipe. Along with Stoic and Buddhist philosophy, collecting and smoking (you don't inhale) it's one of my great interests.

I also think it's well to remember that 'You have power over your mind, not outside events. Realize this and you will gain strength,' - Marcus Aurelius.