Notices

Clean and prescribed Ativan ?

Old 04-04-2013, 02:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Clean and prescribed Ativan ?

Hi there,
It's been a while since I last posted on this forum. So I'll sorta recap. I quit drinking and snorting coke around end if Jan, beginning if Feb this year. Been clean since.
For the last few weeks I've been suffering from panic attacks or the feeling that I'm about to have one. They can happen anywhere, anytime for no particular reason. I've had them in the past too but they were few and far between up till now. I feel anxious in general almost all the time.
Anyway, I went to my family doctor and he prescribed me Ativan to take on an "as needed" basis. The prescription is only for 10 pills.
I've never used Ativan before and I'm a little nervous. Should I be worried about taking this given my history of addiction? I know there's risk of dependency, but given the small amount of them and my doctors assurance that he doesn't "intend to turn me into a pill junkie" (he's a jokes-around-with-you type doctor), am I worrying too much?
Also, how should i expect this to make me feel if I do take it?
I've cut out drinking, drugs, and caffeine. I'm exercising, eating right, sleeping well, meditating, praying...I'm about out of options here for relief
Old 04-04-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have delt with debilitating panic attacks myself since coming off opiates. I know you were doing booze and coke, but panic attacks are insane and hard to truly describe to someone who has never had one.

I have always heard addicts should steer clear of benzos, but I think there are cases where it may be warranted (obviously with a doctors consent). Many doctors who are not familiar with addiction don't seem to truly understand this so it is important to be proactive in your recovery. I was prescribed ativan a few years ago and was very hesitant to take it. For me the feeling was similar to having a few drinks. A relaxed and calm feeling. It didn't really trigger me to use, but I could see how it could definitely become a problem too.

I ended up finding some other natural ways to deal with it through the help of my therapist. Different relaxation and breathing techniques along with exercise, cutting back on caffeine, getting proper rest, and a proper diet. A lot of my panic issues slowly went away with clean time. I spent so much time in my own head while using that I could work myself into a panic attack pretty easily.

I would say as long as you feel comfortable with your doctors advice and he seems to know what he is talking about the Ativan definitely could help your panic attacks. You should definitely try to explore other avenues of dealing with them and talk to a therapist about it. Sometimes all it takes is someone who can teach you to look at the panic attacks in a different way and work through them. Avoiding situations that caused panic was the worst for me because it only reinforced the fear. Once I was able to work through it a couple of times my confidence came back. Good Luck!
Old 04-04-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Getting a prescription from a Dr that says “take as needed” is like hitting the lottery for an addict.

What happens after you’ve had 10 panic attacks – you get more?

Is your Dr fully aware of your addiction, as Marcus said most Dr is not all that familiar? You tell them you have an allergy to opiates and they prescribe benzo’s.

Will they help your attacks, sure, but can you trust yourself with that feeling of having a few drinks?

I think you’re on the fence and maybe should sit there a while longer.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would really challenge you to do with out. I am not your doctor and i am not you so i can't say wether you need them or not. But your gaba receptors were altered by alcohol consumption and that increases anxiety tremendously. Good news is that your gaba receptors will repair themselves IF they are not bombarded by exogenous sources like ativan. Just my two cents
Old 04-04-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi devushka, doesn't that mean young lady in Russian?
I've never taken that so I can't give u any advice on that, however, I've had really bad anxiety a cpl of weeks ago and found something OTC that really works. Go to any natural grocery store or vitamine store and look for blood pressure stabilizer, it's natural ( will keep ur heart rate normal) , also valerian root. I feel like it saved my life, I hope it helps u too.
Just FYI this is not a medical advice, but simply my experience
Good luck and stay positive!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I'm already doing everything I can, myself, to manage this without meds, as I said. I only went to the doc because I can no longer manage on my own.
When I get a panic attack, it's like a wave of anxiety hits and it does literally feel like a wave that starts in my head and rolls down, it makes me a little nauseous even. My chest starts to feel heavy, my heart races, I can't tell if I'm breathing properly. Am I choking? I'm pretty sure I'm getting air? Then why do I feel like I'm suffocating? Everything in me screams, run! Call 911! You're gonna die! Or, you panic and wonder, is this what it feels like to move from sanity to insanity? Is this my mental break? Am I about to lose my mind?
My hands feel weird. Not quite tingly, but weird, like I wanna shake them out. My feet too.
It is a horrible awful feeling and so terrifying, that I get them from the fear of having one. I'm feeling very on the edge of one right now even describing it.

I take my sobriety seriously and I've been on it as far as doing everything else I can to manage my anxiety. I practice deep breathing exercises, I've taken valerian root, etc. I went to doc as a final, desperate act.

Bf says hell keep my meds on hand and dole them out as needed. He's s hard ass, so that'll work. Doctor seems to think that I won't even need all of them. That just knowing I have them IF I need them should make me feel safer, calmer?
Old 04-04-2013, 05:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olivilo View Post
Hi devushka, doesn't that mean young lady in Russian?
Yes it does