Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

For those of you suffering with narcotic cravings..

Notices

Old 09-04-2009, 01:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I urge you to give Campral a try.

It was originally just made for people suffering from alcohol abuse. It works by blocking out the cravings or urges we might get by certain environmental reminders (a street, a song, a person etc etc etc)

To me, addicts are one in the same. All of us got here the same way -- whatever substance was most rewarding to us triggered a high amount of dopamine to be released. So, drug of choice is a phrase I don't like to use... none of chose this. More so, I like to use the phrase "most rewarding substance" because what might get a cocaine addicts dopamine to flow isn't the same for an opiate addict and what might get an opiate addicts dopamine to flow might not be the same for an alcoholic etc etc

So, with that said, I am an opiate addict because opiates are my most rewarding substance. I'm currently on suboxone and campral and I am starting wellbutrin tomorrow (its replacing my abilify and cymbalta)

I urge anyone with a meth cocaine or opiate problem to give campral a try. Even though its marketed towards alcoholics, I can speak from experience that works well for me also!

Scott
Old 09-04-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
On The Road to Recovery!

Where do you get this from?
I am in Louisiana as well.
Kris
Old 09-04-2009, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

kris,

im apart of the townsend program

basically, its an intense outpatient program that combines one on one therapy, group sessions and medication to produce a positive result. A huge ideal of the program is to have someone sober for 8 weeks and on good maintenence medication so by the time we are done the program we have the tools and confidence to really work a 12 step program

i urge you to do a search on google for townsend addiction treatment (can't post links since im under 15 posts), and i urge you to click the link at the top titled "Dr. Wetsmans Corner" once you find the website

It really goes in depth about how addiction is a disease and not a moral failing. It also explains the brain biology of addiction and how medicine and recovery can help an addict get their life back

Dr. Wetsman is the doctor at all these clinics who takes care of prescribing the right medications. He has been published numerous times and even has a book or two out. Dr. Wetsman was also an addict too and so was everyone else that works at townsend

I urge you to check out the program and if you want to speak in private about your addiction I might be able to speak to you from my experience (that is if you are opiate dependent)

Scott
Old 09-04-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
On The Road to Recovery!

The closest one is an hour and a half away...
Old 09-04-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Hi Scott,

Welcome to SR! Glad to have you here.

Please refrain from suggesting medical advice,

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.

2. Outside Agendas: No posts of an overtly political or religious nature OR posts promoting advocacy of particular personal, medical, legal, religious, political, or non-profit causes. The forums are intended for offering mutual personal support related to recovery from addiction or recovery for family and friends. This is our primary purpose. Debating controversial subjects should be taken elsewhere. Limited references are allowed, but the forums should not be used to convert others. Do not post content or links to and from sites that flame someone's person, religious beliefs, race, national background, sexual orientation, or recovery program/method. It is inappropriate to promote the use of alcohol or drugs on our addiction recovery forums.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
5 STaR GeNeRaL

Wink

Hi Scott,

Welcome to SR!

IM TONY (AKA) MRPHREEZ

IM INTERESTED AND IT SOUNDS VERY INTERESTING.....

ANYTHING TO HELP SOMEONE LIVE A BETTER LIFE.....

HEY IM WITH THAT!

I MEEN ANYTHING TO MOTAVATE YOURSELF!!!!

FOR ME SUBOXONE WAS MY "BOOST"

I WAS ADDICTED TO OXYCODONE (IV USER) FOR OVER 2 YEARS!

(EVERYDAY USER)

IVE BEEN ON SUBOXONE FOR ALMOST 7 MONTHS

MARCH 23RD 2009 WAS MY FIRST DOSE OF SUB

SO MY POINT ANYTHING THAT WORKS!`

AND I MUST THROW IN WITHOUT MEETINGS /AA/NA

I WOULDNT BE CLEAN! (SUBOXONE JUST HELPED)

YOU HAVE TO SURROUND YOURSELF WITH SOBER PEOPLE TO BE SOBER

I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE MORE INFO.....

AGAIN WELCOME TO SR AND KEEP POSTING!~

THE COMMUNITY HERE IS AWSOME!

TALK TO YA SOON AND IF YOU CAN TELL ME A BIT MORE....?

I WILL KEEP CHECKING THIS THREAD!

Old 09-04-2009, 04:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I urge everyone to see their doctor for medical advice & issues.

Just my opinion...
Old 09-05-2009, 05:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

While I understand the logic of focusing on dopamine mediation in the case of addicts, I don't think it is quite as simple as that for opiate addicts, hence your suboxone prescription. Keep updating as to how it's going.