Notices

Anyone taken clonidine for opiate w/d?

Old 11-28-2006, 11:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone taken clonidine for opiate w/d?

My doctor is giving me Clonidine to help with my w/d symptoms from a hydrocodone addiction. 1mg x 2/day. Anyone have any experiences taking this medicine for w/d's??
Old 11-28-2006, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oops disreguard I thought you posted about Klonopin. Sorry. KJ
Old 11-28-2006, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

Yer,..tintin...I used them a few time's to help me detox but Ive always gone with What my Dr has said,. and It worked for me then ,...Just under supervision of the Dr tho.....and yes they help...!

...xXx...
Old 11-28-2006, 01:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Its a blood pressure med and yes I have heard of people taking it. Someone on a different board went through an outpatient rehab for ultram and they gave her that and ativan to help get her through the w/d's its also used to treat alcohol w/d. I guess its pretty comon. Someone will be around soon with some better advice or knowledge. KJ
Old 11-28-2006, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hey, i replied to you about this in the other thread are you trying to make me more insane?
Old 11-28-2006, 03:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I took it. It made me a little sleepy, but it helped.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi guys
I come along this evening to ask advice about clonidine and here there is already a thread on the very subject. Great.
Since my coming off opiates earlier on this year - I have become involved in addiction work with youngsters.................... and I have been asked several times about the efficacy of clonidine. I tapered and then finally c/td off the pills and have no experience at all of clonidine............ and would dearly like to have some information.
If anyone has some facts on the use of clonidine for detox I would love to hear it. The dose seems to be something which is never really talked about with any confidence. For example - someone here talks of 1 mg twice a day. I have heard medics talk of a dose of 25 mcg (I think 1 mg = 100 mcg) taken 3 times per day - but what a difference? One being 100 times stronger. Now - what is correct and why? (In UK - its marketed as Dixarit - 25 mcg pills) And there must be such inherent danger in taking 100 times too much of a blood pressure medication?? Yikes.
Certainly I never advise any of the kids to do anything without talking to their GPs - especially about any medication.
It would just be nice to know some real hard facts about clonidine - so that I could at least discuss possible plans with someone wanting to get off opiates.
Does the clonidine prevent the chills and muscle aches?
Anyway - if anyone has any information - it would be great to hear it.
Woops
Old 11-28-2006, 06:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ah, here's my post, i thought i was crazy

this is MY experience, i don't know what will happen with you. the good things....they do zone you out, although just in a sleepy way, not a high way. when i would take one, i would literally have stop whatever i was doing in about fifteen minutes and lay down. if we were in the store, we had to leave. i hated that effect because i have kids. if you can sleep through your wds, then you're good to go.
beware, tho, for me, they also made me very irritable, as they do for my daughter.
however, the shakes and sweats will stop for sure. i almost went with clonodine this time, but decided to do the opiates cold and the benzos taper.
keep us posted
Old 11-28-2006, 08:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I detoxed twice on high dose clonidine in the hosp. and once at home but it worked better in the hosp. The doc. put me on 2 patches and some darvon and attivan as well . It was a detox from methadone so he loaded me up and for the 1rst week I mostly slept and slowly came around and was on it for 3 weeks. It worked well then but not as well as when I tried it myslf. You really need someone to help you and moniter bp on this but it can work .
Old 11-28-2006, 10:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just a clarification on my 1st post here and dose- I left out a "point' My doc. has me on .1mgx2/day. I took one today-it made me a little tired and calmed my overall restlessness a little
Old 11-29-2006, 05:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

I used the Catapress patches (clonidin in a patch) and they did seem to help. Careful driving while on that stuff though.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for info........... and thanks Tin tin for the decimal point - makes a bit more sense now!! LOL
I understand that clonidine (as in dixarit) is a medication for migraine also.
The dosage seems somewhat arbitrary...........
Windy - do you know what dosage was in a patch?
Well - I reckon I can talk to the kids in a general way - but will send them along to the doc to get the right dose and the right monitoring.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:29 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i, also, this morning, against what i wanted, was prescribed a clonodine taper. .2mg three times a day, mainly this time for bp. i haven't filled it yet, cause it makes me tired and that's my whole trigger.
maybe if i get bad enough
mis
Old 11-29-2006, 10:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

Woops - I have no idea about the dosage/mgs. I was completely out of my mind at the time.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:32 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Dopeless Hope Fiend

It helped me alor with the opiate withdrawal. Just DON"T get high when you are taking them!! They lower your blood pressure and it is a easy OD if you use on top of them!!
Take care tintin!!!!!!!!!!
love north
Old 11-29-2006, 11:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I was also given the Catapress Patches in rehab but, like windy, was kinda' out of my mind at the time and don't recall what strength they were...sorry!

They put one on each of my back shoulder blades and I wore them the 4-days in rehab and for another 10-days afterward when I came home.
I noticed they did make me alittle sluggish and tired so I took one off first, noticed an improvement, so took the other off the following day.

I think they really helped me during the first week or so to not have so bad of WDs and especially the "crazy legs".

JMO, but probably best to go with the patches...You can't screw it up or take more than needed and much easier to get rid of {just take them off} if you do.
Best of luck!
Jane
Old 08-04-2011, 09:20 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

hmmmm

if i have 0.1mg of clonidine is there a estimated amount of time it takes to get off the opiates i was taking perc 10z loratab 10z and zzzzz,z 1mg im just curious i want to get off opiates the easiest way without bad w.d syptoms

HELP!!!

TA
Old 08-04-2011, 09:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Coalminer

Welcome

This is a pretty old thread.
Our current rules don't allow us to ask for, or give, medical advice, I'm afraid.

What does your Dr say?

D