View Single Post
Old 11-28-2006, 05:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
woops

Hi guys
I come along this evening to ask advice about clonidine and here there is already a thread on the very subject. Great.
Since my coming off opiates earlier on this year - I have become involved in addiction work with youngsters.................... and I have been asked several times about the efficacy of clonidine. I tapered and then finally c/td off the pills and have no experience at all of clonidine............ and would dearly like to have some information.
If anyone has some facts on the use of clonidine for detox I would love to hear it. The dose seems to be something which is never really talked about with any confidence. For example - someone here talks of 1 mg twice a day. I have heard medics talk of a dose of 25 mcg (I think 1 mg = 100 mcg) taken 3 times per day - but what a difference? One being 100 times stronger. Now - what is correct and why? (In UK - its marketed as Dixarit - 25 mcg pills) And there must be such inherent danger in taking 100 times too much of a blood pressure medication?? Yikes.
Certainly I never advise any of the kids to do anything without talking to their GPs - especially about any medication.
It would just be nice to know some real hard facts about clonidine - so that I could at least discuss possible plans with someone wanting to get off opiates.
Does the clonidine prevent the chills and muscle aches?
Anyway - if anyone has any information - it would be great to hear it.
Woops