Notices

How to come to terms with giving up my last pleasure

Old 10-27-2016, 08:14 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Originally Posted by ru12
If alcohol is causing you problems it might be best to stop drinking it. Perhaps go to the Secular Section and read the threads on AVRT.
I second this! You should check it out BigSur.

I hate to tell you this, but that little window of pleasure between the 1st and 5th drink will become even smaller over time. Eventually the window closes in on itself and it's nothing but darkness and misery.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:15 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Welcome to SR.

Not an alcoholic?

Drinking is merely a symptom of alcoholism. Our problem is with life.
Learning to deal with it without alcohol is the only solution.
damn that is a really deep post. hit home for me, adding it to my armour.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:12 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Since I quit drinking, many pleasures I either never had time for or never experienced when drinking have filled my life and replaced alcohol- which was never really as good as I thought it was, and was actually robbing me blind me physically, mentally, and spiritually.

You've recognized the problem. You're here. Those are two very good things that can put you on the right direction. You shouldn't be living your life for a momentary buzz. Your life will be far more rewarding if you give up alcohol.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:50 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Wow, I wish I could "Like" individual posts - there is a lot of good insight offered here.

BigSur, I was on the mental merry-go-round of not wanting to admit that I should never drink again for the last 4 years. I've gone back and forth between labeling myself as an alcoholic and a problem drinker that whole time, because I felt that if I could just "get it under control" I could be a person who could drink "moderately", whatever that means.

I'm finally admitting to myself that I can't drink. Period. It was spiralling out of control and every aspect of my life was being affected by it.

I'm only on Day 9, and I don't feel great all the time but already the bloat is floating away, my head is more clear though a little anxious when dealing with stressful situations, and I have the motivation to stay sober even if I don't have motivation for much else just yet.

You have to get out of it to look back and see it for what it was.