Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

A fun and light post today... where did you come up with your username?

Notices

A fun and light post today... where did you come up with your username?

Old 09-25-2016, 11:55 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I for the life of me could not think up an interesting name while trying to register and since it was the end of summer/beginning of fall I went with Summerfall lol (couple years ago.
Old 09-26-2016, 12:26 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

The dog in my profile picture is our rescue dog Ginny so mine is a play on that.

Like I call my son by his full name - including middle - when I'm exasperated by him, the dog gets called Ginny Woof.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:36 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Old hunting dogs name plus old football number. Lost my dog two years back of old age. Miss him fierce.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:50 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Panacea - definition: "a cure for all ills and difficulties".
Old 09-26-2016, 05:58 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Not sure mine needs an explanation...
Old 09-26-2016, 06:47 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Stabilizer, is a many faceted reference to a band in the 80s called 'The Stabilizers'. While I was student painting all summer with a friend who is now a Dr., we listened to music. This was one of the bands we listened too and one time after hearing a verse that went 'one simple thing kept between you and me, can build a wall that no-one else can see' ... he said "the words in these songs are stabilizers for our lives." The meaning of this stuck with me. Interestingly enough, I had not seen this person for the last 15 years but we reconnected last month.

Avatar: Obey. It comes from a 90s artist who began putting up this silkscreen face of Andre the Giant as a parody to political propaganda posters (neo-fascist). The word obey was actually taken from an alien invasion movie called 'They Live'. You can see this image posted all around the world as an anti-authoritarian message. To me this is a powerful message to think about what you are being told to believe.

Wow, heady stuff ...
Old 09-26-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I love bunny rabbits. I've always had them as pets. I'm slightly obsessed hahaha. And then the 211 is for my birthday - February 11th.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:21 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

I got frustrated when signing up after trying several different names, so I used "Username7775," which is the word "username" and my birthday. I didn't think it mattered much because I didn't think I'd be around for long.

Turns out, "Username7775" is kinda long and lame, so people shortened it, often to "User," which I did NOT like all that much. So I asked the mods to change it to the abbreviated "U75." Works for me, although there has been some confusion over whether I'm actually a submarine from an old German war film...
Old 10-01-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
AA Member

Old 10-01-2016, 12:34 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I just(insert username here)
Old 10-02-2016, 02:15 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

I have wondered before if you like submarines!

Originally Posted by U75 View Post
I got frustrated when signing up after trying several different names, so I used "Username7775," which is the word "username" and my birthday. I didn't think it mattered much because I didn't think I'd be around for long.

Turns out, "Username7775" is kinda long and lame, so people shortened it, often to "User," which I did NOT like all that much. So I asked the mods to change it to the abbreviated "U75." Works for me, although there has been some confusion over whether I'm actually a submarine from an old German war film...
Old 10-02-2016, 03:15 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

My firewall (or something), was stopping me from registering, regardless of how bizarre a name I picked, it would say 'taken' or 'reserved' or something. So, I used the 'contact us' form and Anna replied. She said she would register for me and send me the password etc and what name would I like? I was so touched by her kindness, that Zanna was born Thanks again Anna xxx
Old 10-02-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

When I first signed up to SR I had relapsed after 7 years and I knew the wonderful rewards of living in a recovery world. Thus the name

It Will Be Worth It

Seemed fitting and accurate. :-)

Great thread!
Old 10-02-2016, 04:44 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My username was suggested to me by my late husband. Most people guess that it references serene or serenity. It is actually a Welsh word that means star (as in the sky).