Notices

How much were you drinking when enough became enough?

Old 10-10-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Enough was never enough. That was the problem.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The amount is not important, what made me want to stop is the obsession I started to have with drinking. I'd wake up early and immediately start planning my drinking for the day.

A "good" day would be one where I'd get home from work between 2 and 3PM and drink for the next 8 or 9 hours. Weekends I would start before noon and drink for up to 12 hours.

"Bad" days were when I had a meeting or function at night and could not drink until later in the evening.

Of course it did not start that way, it took me many years to get to the point I could drink for 8 to 12 hours straight. Sometimes I would even take a "nap" halfway through a long day of drinking and then continue once I woke up.

Family responsibilities ignored, almost no social life-I drank alone in front of the computer, spending money like crazy on alcohol and eBay, and it was starting to affect my work performance.

The rational part of my alcohol soaked brain finally had enough, and along with a non-alcohol related medical issue, helped me decide to choose sobriety over the path I was on, which would have been death by alcohol.

Thanks to SR and other resources I have accepted I cannot even have one drink, ever. Been tested several times and I have no desire to drink because I know and accept that if I do I will be a mess again in a very short time and may not recover again.

Just a little over 14 months sober and happy to be here.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I wish I could remember but during a spree my body and mind would go into auto pilot I would be not even remember pouring them down my throat by the end of the night... I would guess between 30-35 units
Old 10-10-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

When hangovers turned into withdrawals.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

I drank about 500 ml of cachaça a day (cachaça is 80 proof liquor made from sugar cane, the most popular alcoholic beverage in Brazil, also the cheapest) for about 6 or 7 years? Maybe more? I was smoking a lot of weed too, so I'd alternate addictions thinking I had some kind of control.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

This time---gallon of vodka a day at least. Had to drink to stay alive.
When I went to rehab I was under nurses' watch for three days (newcomers, that is when you are strapped to the bed, right next to the nurse's station with them monitoring you every second).
I HAVE to recovery this time or I will not survive another round. Sober sincee 03/13/2015 and counting and going strong!!!
Old 10-10-2015, 08:04 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I was a binge drinker and got started in my early twenties during college. It was "normal" in college, or acceptable anyway. But when everyone else curtailed or stopped the partying and moved on, I got stuck for a few years in that scene, until I quit at age 27 for one year. I started back up at age 28 after my grandmother died (my first significant loss of a loved one), and drank until age 35. I stopped several times for days, weeks, and months. That was all I managed, until I finally quit for good. My mother died tragically of alcohol/drug related suicide when I was 33, and this had a huge impact on me finally getting sober. I am thankful today that I was able to use that tragedy as my catalyst for getting my life back.

The amount/frequency wasn't so much the thing, as was the loss of vitality, the arrested development, and the miserable inertia. No amount was ever enough. I was stalling getting on with my life and doing the work I was meant to do. Alcohol was my big crutch and big excuse. I'm fortunate to have stopped as early as I did at age 35, and wish to goodness I had stopped for good that first time at age 27. Lost time is irretrievable.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Professional zombie fighter

Three bottles of wine a day.

But honestly a smarter lady than I could have said enough is enough when it was 6-9 beers a day and I hadn't lost everything yet.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

When alcohol starts causing problems regardless of volume, it's time for a better way forward!!

For me Sobriety made life a whole lot simpler!!