Notices

The New High

Old 05-03-2015, 09:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb The New High

Anyone else think sobriety is in itself a kind of high?

For addicts like myself, being sober is more uncommon than being under the influence. So when we abstain and get sober, that "straight" feeling is actually another kind of buzz to get used to. A clean buzz so to speak. What a trip. It's a battle getting back to being clean one way or the other. I am happy about it, but it just strikes me as such a drastic change that no wonder we all fail most of the times that we try to cross over to that place.

It's a journey I think is worth the effort. At least you get somewhere, which can't be said of repeatedly drinking and drugging every night. Here's to change. Here's to progress.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I heard a quote one time: " clarity is it's own drug."
I do think sobriety and what we gain from it can be a "high" in and of itself.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Into the Void

I think I can relate. For the first few months in, I did feel like I was in a strange and altered state with a new emotional landscape. Definitely not how normal people feel, whatever that is.
Old 05-03-2015, 10:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

In rational recovery it's called "abstinence commitment effect" or ACE . Described as pleasant and uplifted feelings brought about by having a sense of control over ones destiny and a return of hope once more.
Ye , you could call that a kind of high.
Old 05-03-2015, 11:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Or rather,,, " a sense of control over ones future use of alcohol or drugs" .
Old 05-04-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi.

I don’t hear it much anymore but some years ago in AA this high euphoric feeling was called a “pink cloud” grab hold and savor it!

BE WELL
Old 05-04-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
zjw

its not really for me. But a good high for me would be the rush i get after downing a huge veggie smoothie. All the vitamins such hit me and i get a head rush and a blast of energy. To me thats a healthy kind of high.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Anyone else think sobriety is in itself a kind of high?
I had been using alcohol to numb my feelings for so long that when sobriety gave them back to me, I felt both new highs and new lows. Good news was I got my feelings back. Bad news was I did not know how to deal with those feelings.

I had to go on to experience Emotional Sobriety (aka equanimity) before I began to feel comfortable in my own skin again (without a substance).
Old 05-04-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Since sober I appreciate simple things so much more. I used to wake up in the morning, and get out of bed thinking about getting drunk. Now I am happy to have a cup of coffee. Everything is much different, but in a good way. I did not used to even notice the smell of fresh air, but now I love just walking outside, or sitting on my deck, and watching the bunny's hop around the yard playing. Sobriety really is a "high" and honestly a better one.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I wouldn't say it's a "high" for me ( being sober ) but it's a hell of a lot better than it was before. I do think i am more sensitive to just about everything now...light, sounds, my body, everything really.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It's very easy for me to appreciate sobriety. I used to abuse myself so bad. This thread just reminded me of how many mornings I would get up and just know that I wasn't going to be able to get much done, due to the hangover. Or that I'd better get as much done as possible because I felt pretty good so I would probably be getting so hammered that I would be useless the following day. What a sick merry go round.

I did have the Pink Cloud, especially during the first year. Maybe it was the flip side to PAWS? It was a great feeling, but maybe a little over the top, kind of artificial. It felt like a drug. Eventually it went away. Now I feel really high every day but grounded at the same time. Being high on drugs and/or alcohol all the time was what it was, I guess I enjoyed it sometimes but this is so much better!
Old 05-04-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Until It Sleeps

Sharpening the mind is very addicting to me.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yeap, my new high has been hangover free mornings!!
Old 05-08-2015, 11:18 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Not sure I'd call it a "high", but I've really come to appreciate the feeling of being present. I also enjoy that my behavior is very consistent and predictable. Not a description anyone would have used of me when I drank.
Old 05-08-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I felt that way the first year. then I fell off my pink cloud and had to do the steps. that made the pain better esp apologizing to my family.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Originally Posted by NoJimmy View Post
Not sure I'd call it a "high", but I've really come to appreciate the feeling of being present. I also enjoy that my behavior is very consistent and predictable. Not a description anyone would have used of me when I drank.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Couldn't agree more. Having a clear mind, good sleep and a solid appetite is a reward in and of itself.