Notices

Strong urges today

Old 04-21-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strong urges today

I'm away from home this week on a business trip (one of my favorite times to drink) and had a very stressful day with a tense meeting and an announcement that my company may merge with someone and I just really feel like I want to drink.

My plan - get back to the hotel and change and go for a brisk walk with my headphones on. Then back to the hotel for dinner and right to bed. If it's really bad I may have to take a shower. Any other ideas???
Old 04-21-2015, 08:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Drink plenty of water so that you are full and remember that this will pass.

Keep your eye on the price.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you have a plan! You're doing a great job and anyone would be stressed after a meeting like that. Your plan for the evening sounds really good. After the shower it might be an idea to do some reading or maybe post here if you're feeling bad.

Stay strong!
Old 04-21-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

exercise, eat, relax, sleep...sounds like a great plan to me.

You can always join us here too if you need reinforcments. And go back and read some of your past posts about elevated liver enzymes, etc if you need a reminder of where you would be in a short amount of time if you took a drink tonight. We are all one drink away from the horror of the past.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about the urge to drink, it can be pretty painful at times.
Perhaps have something sweet after dinner? Watch a funny movie?
Stay close to SR!
Old 04-21-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good plan, Teebee; great suggestions above, too.

(Maybe leave your credit cards and cash behind in the room safe just in case you pass any bars, etc. during your walk).
Old 04-21-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I was in Glasgow on business a while ago and had some of the same feelings (especially as it coincided with my birthday)

I went on the SR chat room, it was really fast moving and took my mind of the cravings while I tried to keep up with it.

You could maybe watch a movie in hotel, most Dutch speak good English so they mostly in english
Old 04-21-2015, 10:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Remember the basic triggers: HALT (hungry, angry, lonely or tired). On a recent trip for me, I realized the worst trigger time was right before dinner because I was hungry (not to mention that I was the only one at the table not drinking).. So, I made sure to eat some snacks before going to the restaurant.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

All of the above (((((TeeBee)))))
Old 04-21-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
leb

Hi tee,
After your walk try lying on the bed with relaxing music and deep breathe, slowly, pushing out your tummy as you breathe. Hold the breath for a while then whoosh it out through your mouth.
If the AV keeps on later, focus on the horrible things about drinking e.g. hangovers, sweats, shakes, anxiety, fatigue, nausea......

If all else fails tell that AV to SHUTUP and recite the multiplication tables, That's what I do. It takes so long to remember the tables that the voice has no chance - lol Stay strong, together we can do this.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hang in there Teebee! Trips away from home were my favorite times to drink too. Does the hotel you are staying at have a gym? I was away on a trip staying in a hotel a few weeks ago I worked out to keep myself distracted. Your walk with headphones is a great idea too. Maybe go right to your room, put your pj's on and order room service for dinner. You can do this!
Old 04-21-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

all this sounds super good! For me right now it took looking up a place that makes suits for a music video coming up to really realize how blessed I am right now. I am blessed, and remembering that humbles me and makes me a little lighter about my current situation. A little more confidence in myself and life period. Might take a trip to see my mom if I wasn't so lazy right now.
Remember where you are and how lucky you are to even be here. You got this today.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Keep yourself out of any situation possible in which you would be tempted to drink. If possible, pick yourself up a drink you enjoy like tea or seltzer water.
Keep hanging in there Teebee!
Old 04-21-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great ideas here - how are you doing teebee

D