Notices

There but for God's Grace, go I

Old 04-21-2016, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

There but for God's Grace, go I

Well I'm sitting on a cross country flight and wouldn't you know that I'd have the luck to sit next to a lady who's now working on her second bottle of wine. She's gotten to that sloppy drunk , talkative stage. I'm quietly pecking away here hoping she'll lose interest in me.
These are the moments that make me so very grateful to be over a year sober. It was so weird to witness her slowly become drunk right next to me.
There but for the grace of God, go I. I am so very grateful for sobriety.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Thanks for posting- and congrats on your sober time.

You will feel a lot better tomorrow morning than your neighbor will, I'm sure!
Old 04-21-2016, 08:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great post.. People do get drunk pretty quick when you're sitting with them sober..I see it often at family dinners..

As soon as my brother in law has a few he starts rewinding the television because he missed something.. That's about the time I say my goodbyes!!

Safe travels!!
Old 04-21-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Gosh poor you. Well done for not craving one.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is why headphones are a necessity on planes, even if you aren't actually listening to anything!!
Old 04-22-2016, 02:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 04-22-2016, 02:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There but by the grace of God goes me too. Good to see these reminders of how it was and make us even more grateful to be off that horrible treadmill.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yikes, but what a good reminder of what youre not missing. Great post.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm sure this was difficult to witness and that you are grateful that you are not in this place anymore, but I still have mixed feelings about this post. I'm having problems seeing why it is necessary to put someone else down in order to feel good. Seven years ago I lost 150 lbs, but I didn't look at people around me thinking "oh, look at that fat lady stuffing her face with burgers", and I certainly didn't post it online. What if I were that lady sitting next to you on that flight?

I'm just a stupid foreigner and there are many aspects of the English language I still don't understand, but when I'm reading the title of this post I get the feeling that you have God's grace - and she doesn't. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So, I'm sorry to say that this was not a great post.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
under new management

I often remind myself "there but for the grace of God go I".

What that means to me is a reminder not to judge other people but rather to have compassion for where they are and what their situation might be.

It also is a reminder to myself to be grateful for where I find myself. It is a reminder to myself not to disparage someone else's position in life because it could just as easily be me.

Old 04-22-2016, 05:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fabela View Post
I'm sure this was difficult to witness and that you are grateful that you are not in this place anymore, but I still have mixed feelings about this post. I'm having problems seeing why it is necessary to put someone else down in order to feel good. Seven years ago I lost 150 lbs, but I didn't look at people around me thinking "oh, look at that fat lady stuffing her face with burgers", and I certainly didn't post it online. What if I were that lady sitting next to you on that flight?

I'm just a stupid foreigner and there are many aspects of the English language I still don't understand, but when I'm reading the title of this post I get the feeling that you have God's grace - and she doesn't. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hi Fabela,

It is a saying that means it could easily be me in the same situation. It is not meant to say the other person doesn't have God's grace.

I know in the past I have been the person starting on that second glass of wine, and I am grateful it isn't me right now. This is what I believe was meant by the post.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I see it the same way. It's having compassion and not being judgemental and feeling relieved that I don't have to do that anymore because I know how so very easily that could be me.

I believe that it took some sort of grace for me to be able to stop. How else did I just "decide" one morning that I was done, when all those mornings before that, I really thought I was done but wasn't?
Old 04-22-2016, 08:21 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I don't think that this is what is meant at all!

A reminder to all of us what we looked like to other people is often a great thing to keep us on track.

Great job not craving or giving in. Sobriety is a gift and I think its awesome to recognize it.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

it was pretty wild for me,too, the first time i was around someone getting sloppy drunk like i used to.
and all i could think was," thank you, God, for helping me get sober."
Old 04-22-2016, 09:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

i must be reading the OP differently as i dont read anything condecending or derogitory like your example.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:26 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cleomie View Post

There but for the grace of God, go I. I am so very grateful for sobriety.
Bob
Old 04-22-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I feel for you. I was once on the receiving end of a drunken lunatic on a flight. Nothing worse.