Notices

Are Non Alcoholic Beers a gateway drug?

Old 08-20-2014, 08:27 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Huh- I had wondered this, actually. Seems, nearly-universally, that folks find it a bad idea/gateway.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
If I did drink them in sobriety
I would not share that on this site

Mountainmanbob
Old 08-20-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I came to the conclusion, that if I was going to drink something non alcoholic, why not have something that tastes really great, there are many fantastic flavours out there amongst all the fruit juices in the world and the green teas that exist, a wealth of new options!!
Old 08-20-2014, 11:16 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

This is reminding me of something my daughter said on holiday. She was ordering drinks like a virgin pina colada, which they would have made virgin anyhow because she had a kid's wristband (and she also looks like a kid)...so she says to me, she was watching some Disney comedy show - the kind they aim at teens - and she said a man walked up to a bar and asked for a Coke. The bartender said, I'm trying to learn how to make drinks, so could you please order a drink? So he says, I'd like a rum and Coke, virgin.

Well, it made me laugh...must be my inner teen.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:28 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
I dunno..non-alcoholic beer seems like driving by an ex-boyfriend's house….
That IS hilarious. For me, well I guess I wasn't obsessed enough with that "particular" boyfriend so "he" doesn't give me issue. By that I mean, beer was not my DOC...wine was. I indulge in the occasional NA beer and it gives me no grief.

BUT here's something weird..when I first re-entered sobriety I relapsed on the smoking thang. So for a few weeks of my first month of sobriety..I sat around and smoked and drank NA beer almost daily (maybe one or two after work)...out on the patio..chain smoking with my keyboard on my lap here at SR.

Since giving up cig's again (almost a month ago).... I THINK the only time I have drank NA beer is when I had a one day relapse with cig's. No, sorry there was one other time...where I had one.

Given my close association with "cig's" and beer... I can see how the "association" with DOC could be troublesome.

In my case, NA beer is more likely to lead me back to smoking than drinking. Hmmm..
Old 08-20-2014, 11:29 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
LOL.

I drink NA beer, and feel no reason or desire to relapse.

Besides its ability to get me hammered, I actually liked the taste of beer, and found it very refreshing in summer.

So if I drank Jack and Coke, I should stop drinking Coke? Vodka and orange? Rye and water (which was my main non-beer drink BTW)? Long Island Iced Tea? Coffee and Amarula?

Dee said it best on the first page, we have to do what is right for us. Being pedantic doesn't help people stay sober - finding what helps them stay sober is what helps them stay sober.

Me, I know that having NA beer handy has helped me stay sober.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I am not personally interested. I socialize with people who drink occasionally and I really have no interest what they are drinking.

I would rather not do anything that leads to old behavior. Hanging out with social drinkers is not old behavior; old behavior is trying near beer.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Wink

Originally Posted by SparkyMcSparky View Post
LOL.

I drink NA beer, and feel no reason or desire to relapse.

Besides its ability to get me hammered, I actually liked the taste of beer, and found it very refreshing in summer.

So if I drank Jack and Coke, I should stop drinking Coke? Vodka and orange? Rye and water (which was my main non-beer drink BTW)? Long Island Iced Tea? Coffee and Amarula?

Dee said it best on the first page, we have to do what is right for us. Being pedantic doesn't help people stay sober - finding what helps them stay sober is what helps them stay sober.

Me, I know that having NA beer handy has helped me stay sober.
I am just looking up craft soda and all the different NA beers and enjoying tasting them knowing there is no harm to me in them! Each to their own though
Old 08-20-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LDT View Post
Uh-Oh.

Seriously though..... This is a hot topic of debate here..... Brace yourself.
This made me laugh! Thanks LDT
Old 08-20-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I think you are all correct. NA beer will just lead to wanting the real thing.